Nuggets of Wisdom from Great Jewish Thinkers: From Biblical Times to the Present
Rodopi, 1994 - 194 oldal
This book offers a copious selection of insights about the world and life, crafted in engaging language by Jewish sages, scholars, rabbis, and literary luminaries, from ancient to modern times. These remarkable explanations, queries, and proposals are connected by expository comments and comparisons by the author. The passionate care for human values which underlies much of Jewish thinking is made accessible in this comprehensive work. In it the reader may find counsel on how to achieve a good and satisfying life while responding to the joys and sorrows that touch us all.
A könyvből nem nézhetsz meg több oldalt.
A könyvből nem nézhetsz meg több oldalt.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
The Dead Sea Scrolls
The Philosophy of Philo Judaeus
Note to Part Three
Bahya Ibn Paquda About 1075
Rabbi Levi Ben Gershom Gersonides
Note to Part Four
How May God Be Most Credibly
What Are the Basic Truths About
What Happens When We Die?
Sources of Quotations
Index of Authors and Anonymous Documents
Rabbi Solomon Ben Isaac Rashi
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Abot accepted According addition answer appears asked beginning Bible blessed born Buber called century chapter Cohen Commentaries earth edited editor evil existence expressed faith Four Gemara Glatzer God's Hasidic heart heaven Hebrew Heschel Holy hope House human humility Ibid idea included interpretation Isaiah Israel Italy Jacobs Jewish Jewish thinkers Jews Judah Judaism King light living Lord Maimonides means Midrash mind Mishnah Mishnah tractate Mishneh Torah Moses nature Note Nuggets of Wisdom passages peace person Philip Birnbaum Philosophy praised prayer Press prophet Psalm Publishing question quoted Rabbah Rabbi Rambam Reader reads Reason reference regarding righteous Scripture selected Solomon Song Spinoza's Spinoza's Ethics spirit taken Talmud Teaching thee things thou thought tion Torah tradition translated truth United University unto verses View voice wisdom Writings written wrote York
26. oldal - There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.
26. oldal - These six things doth the Lord hate: Yea, seven are an abomination unto him : A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
23. oldal - The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart : the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
24. oldal - It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, And to sing praises unto Thy name, O most High : To shew forth Thy lovingkindness in the morning, And Thy faithfulness every night.
20. oldal - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the Sons of God shouted for joy?
13. oldal - And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts : but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.
24. oldal - The earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
9. oldal - Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
26. oldal - And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
26. oldal - VANITY of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity. What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun ? One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh : but the earth abideth for ever.