Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
aged ancient Antiquities appears arches bart beautiful Bishop Brevet Bristol British called Capt Captain Castle Catholic Chapel character Charles Christian Church Corn Laws Court daughter death Duke Earl early East Edward eldest dau England English erected favour feet Foot France French Gothic architecture Hall Haverholm Priory Henry History honour House Ireland James Janissaries Jesuits July King labours Lady land late Leicestershire letter Lincolnshire literary London Lord Majesty Mary Memoirs ment neral Nichols North notice observed Padstow parish Parliament period persons Pole Portugal possession present Prince racter readers Rector reign respect Richard Robert Roman Royal Saxon says Sept Sleaford Society Spain stone Surrey Thomas Thomas Stamford Raffles Thos tical tion town Urban Vicar volume West whole wife William York
292. oldal - Whatever withdraws us from the power of our senses ; whatever makes the past, the distant, or the future predominate over the present, advances us in the dignity of thinking beings.
295. oldal - Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute: that the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation...
292. oldal - That man is little to be envied, whose patriotism would not gain force upon the plain of Marathon, or whose piety would not grow • warmer among the ruins of lona.
64. oldal - Quits mutton-bones on grass to feast ; And see yon rooks, how odd their flight, They imitate the gliding kite, And seem precipitate to fall, As if they felt the piercing ball. 'Twill surely rain, I see with sorrow, Our jaunt must be put off to-morrow.
12. oldal - And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say : for the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
511. oldal - Is there no balm in Gilead ; is there no physician there ? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered...
433. oldal - These diminutive observations seem to take away something from the dignity of writing, and therefore are never communicated but with hesitation, and a little fear of abasement and contempt. But it must be remembered, that life consists not of a series of illustrious actions, or elegant enjoyments; the greater part of our time passes in compliance with necessities, in the performance of daily duties, in the removal of small inconveniences, in the procurement of petty pleasures ; and we are well or...
525. oldal - I have been called to a holy office by the Lord himself, who most graciously manifested himself in person to me, his servant, in the year 1743 ; when he opened my sight to the view of the spiritual world, and granted me the privilege of conversing with spirits and angels which I enjoy to this day.
530. oldal - As piety predominated in his mind, it is diffused over his works : under his direction it may be truly said, Theologies Philosophia ancillatur, philosophy is subservient to evangelical instruction : it is difficult to read a page without learning, or at least wishing, to be better. The attention is caught by indirect instruction, and he that sat down only to reason is on a sudden compelled to pray.
236. oldal - February, the aurora again appeared over the hills in a south direction, presenting a brilliant mass of light, very similar to that just described. The rolling motion of the light laterally was here also very striking, as well as the increase of its intensity thus occasioned. The light occupied horizontally about a point of the compass, and extended in height scarcely a degree above the land, which seemed, however, to conceal from us a part of the phenomenon. It was always evident enough that the...