A Brief Biblical History: The Old Testament
Cosimo, Inc., 2005. dec. 1. - 260 oldal
After the slaying of Goliath, David was made the constant companion of Saul; and he and Jonathan became sworn friends. But as the women of Israel sang the praises of David after the slaying of Goliath, and ascribed tens of thousands of slain to David and only thousands to Saul, Saul began to dread him as a possible rival. -from "The Reign of Saul" This concise overview of the Old Testament, from a respected and prolific Biblical scholar, strives to offer a level-headed assessment of the oldest tales in the world's oldest book. Brief synopses of the major characters and storylines-from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to the Flight of Israel, the Syrian Wars, and the Settlement of Judah-are presented with an awareness of the different moral climate in which we live today, with a critical bent toward the historicity of the events depicted, and with a skeptical eye toward the miraculous. While never dismissing the importance of faith, this classic 1924 work embraces the necessity of both the heart and the mind in gaining a full understanding of the Old Testament.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
The Cooqaest of Canaan w
and the House of Jehu
How the Kingdoms of Israel utd udah became involved
The Return audi the Settlement in Judah
The Geography of Palestine
The Jews under Persian and Greek Kings
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
A Brief Biblical History: Old Testament (Classic Reprint)
Frederick John Foakes Jackson
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2019
Abner Abraham Absalom Achish Ahab Ahaz Ahaziah altar Ammonites anointed army asked Assyrian Baal Babylon became Benhadad Benjamin Bethel called Canaanites CHAPTER chariot Chron command Damascus David death defeated dynasty Edom Egypt Egyptian Elijah Elisha Ephraim Ezra father feast Gideon Gilead Gilgal hath Hazael Hebrew Hebron Hezekiah High Priest Hyrcanus Isaiah Ishbosheth Israelites Jacob Jehoahaz Jehoiada Jehovah Jehu Jericho Jeroboam Jeroboam II Jerusalem Jewish Jews Jezebel Jezreel Joab Joash Jonathan Jordan Josh Joshua Judah Judg king of Israel king of Judah king of Syria king's kingdom Kings xi land Lord Manasseh Moab Moses Mount murdered Naaman nation Omri Palestine peace Pekah Philistines prophet punishment refused Rehoboam reign restored royal sacrifice Samaria Samuel sanctuary Saul Saul's sent servant Shechem shew Shiloh slain slew smote Solomon sons Syria Temple thee thou told took tribes unto victory wife worship xxiv
84. oldal - Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
179. oldal - Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me ; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people ? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up.
110. oldal - And the king said unto Cushi, Is the young man Absalom safe ? And Cushi answered, The enemies of my lord the king, and all that rise against thee to do thee hurt, be as that young man is.
106. oldal - And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
164. oldal - But the people held their peace, and answered him not a word : for the king's commandment was, saying, Answer him not. Then came Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, which was over the household, and Shebna the scribe, and Joah the son of Asaph the recorder, to Hezekiah with their clothes rent, and told him the words of Rabshakeh.
131. oldal - Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
113. oldal - And king Solomon answered and said unto his mother, And why dost thou ask Abishag the Shunammite for Adonijah? ask for him the kingdom also; for he is mine elder brother; even for him, and for Abiathar the priest, and for Joab the son of Zeruiah.
58. oldal - In time to come your children might speak unto our children, saying, What have ye to do with the LORD God of Israel? 25 For the LORD hath made Jordan a border between us and you, ye children of Reuben and children of Gad; ye have no part in the LORD: so shall your children make our children cease from fearing the LORD.