Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advance appeared arms army arrival attack authority battalion bound British government called Captain cause character chiefs Chinese Colonel command Company complete conduct continued course Court desire directed distinguished East Edition effect enemy England English established European expected feeling force further give Goorkhas Governor-General heir hills Honourable hope hundred immediately important India interest Italy Jung Bahadoor King lands late letter Lieutenant Lord March ment military minister mission native nature Nepaul Nepaulese never object observed obtained occasion offered officers once original party passed peace period person political position possession present Prince principal Queen Rajah received relations remained render Resident respect season sepoys side Sing Sir David Ochterlony soldiers soon spirit success territory tion treaty troops views vols volumes whole young
20. oldal - This work has already reached a third edition. We shall be surprised if it do not go through many. It possesses almost every qualification of a good book — grace, variety, and vigour of style — a concentrated power of description, which has all the effect of elaborate painting — information carefully collected and judiciously communicated — sound and enlarged views of important questions — a hearty and generous love of country — and the whole pervaded by a refined but sometimes caustic...
9. oldal - ... The Princesses of England, on the contrary, are themselves English, but their lives are nearly all connected with foreign nations. Their biographies, consequently, afford us a glimpse of the manners and customs of the chief European kingdoms, a circumstance which not only gives to the work the charm of variety, but which is likely to render it peculiarly useful to the general reader, as it links together by association the contemporaneous history of various nations.
20. oldal - LINDSAY'S LETTERS ON THE HOLY LAND. FOURTH EDITION, Revised, 1 vol., post 8vo, with Illustrations, 6s. bound. " Lord Lindsay has felt and recorded what he saw with the wisdom of a philosopher, and the faith of an enlightened Christian.
20. oldal - THIRD EDITION, 2 vols., post 8vo, with Illustrations, 21s. bound. " We recommend ' Hochelaga ' most heartily, in case any of our readers may as yet be unacquainted with it.
22. oldal - In the present instance there is an abundant and interestingly applied variety of matter illustrative of human pleasures and pursuits in the country. A country life, indeed, is here seen in all its points of view— in the field, the forest, and by the fireside. It is curious to observe the variety of subjects treated of, either in prose or poetry, in these right pleasant and entertaining pages.
15. oldal - MEMOIRS AND CORRESPONDENCE Of SIR ROBERT MURRAY KEITH, KB, Minister Plenipotentiary at the Courts of Dresden, Copenhagen, and Vienna, from 1769 to 1793; with Biographical Memoirs of Queen Caroline Matilda, Sister of George III.
21. oldal - Capt. Hall's narrative of the services of the Nemesis is full of interest, and will, we are sure, be valuable hereafter, as affording most curious materials for the history of steam navigation.
2. oldal - We must pronounce Miss Strickland beyond all comparison the most entertaining historian in the English language. She is certainly a woman of powerful and active mind, as well as of scrupulous justice and honesty of purpose.
23. oldal - Introduction to Entomology,' by Kirby and Spence, no work in our language is better calculated than the ' Zoological Recreations' to fulfil the avowed aim of its author — to furnish a hand-book which may cherish or awaken a love for natural history.