Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Permanence of Christianity, Lectures Preached Before the University of ...
John Richard T Eaton
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2016
admitted advance argument Atheism Augustine authority belief Bishop Buckle causes centuries character Chris Christianity Church Churchman civilization Comp Compare Comte creed Crown 8vo Dean Dean Church Dean Stanley devotion Divine doctrine dogma doubt duty Edition Edward Meyrick Goulburn effect element error Essays eternal existence fact force Goldwin Smith Gospel Guizot Herbert Spencer Hist Holy human nature ideas influence instincts intellectual J. H. Newman J. S. Mill Jesus John Henry Blunt knowledge laws Lecky Lect Lectures Leibnitz man's mankind matter ment Milman mind Monasticism Monotheism moral nations objection observes origin Pantheism permanence Phil philosophy physical positive Positivism practice Prayer present principle progress Protestantism race reason Reformation religion religious remarks result Revelation says Scripture sense Sermons Small 8vo social soul spirit teaching tendency theology theory things thought tianity tion true truth universe volume writes
147. oldal - CULTURE or Civilization, taken in its wide ethnographic sense, is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society.
19. oldal - ... or the wisest for the multitude's sake, were not ready to give passage rather to that which is popular and superficial than to that which is substantial and profound; for the truth is, that time seemeth to be of the nature of a river or stream, which carrieth down to us that which is light and blown up, and sinketh and drowneth that which is weighty and solid.
22. oldal - Augustin. A DOMINICAN ARTIST: a Sketch of the Life of the Rev. Pere Besson, of the Order of St. Dominic. HENRI PERREYVE. By A. GRATRY. ST. FRANCIS DE SALES, Bishop and Prince of Geneva.
87. oldal - It destroys likewise magnanimity, and the raising of human nature ; for take an example of a dog, and mark what a generosity and courage he will put on when he finds himself maintained by a man; who to him is instead of a God, or melior natura...
81. oldal - Here sits he shaping wings to fly: His heart forebodes a mystery: He names the name Eternity. 'That type of Perfect in his mind In Nature can he nowhere find. He sows himself on every wind. 'He seems to hear a Heavenly Friend, And thro' thick veils to apprehend A labour working to an end.
247. oldal - The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them : for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon ; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
37. oldal - ... the simple record of three short years of active life has done more to regenerate and to soften mankind than all the disquisitions of philosophers and all the exhortations of moralists.
196. oldal - Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost tea.ch.eth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
v. oldal - Printing-House, between the hours of " ten in the morning and two in the afternoon, to preach " eight Divinity Lecture Sermons, the year following, at " St. Mary's in Oxford, between the commencement of the " last month in Lent Term, and the end of the third week