Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action Adam Smith amount animal annual appears atom attraction average bodies Britain canal capital Captain carbonic acid carronades chemical chemical affinity coal colour combustion common consequently consists contains copper cubic degree depth distance Ditto ditto earth East India elastic electricity elevation engine England equal estimate evaporation exist Fahrenheit fathoms feet felspar Ferintosh fluid fossils grains heat horse power hydrogen inches increase insects iron James Weddel labour latitude length lime Liverpool London magnetic matter Melville Island mercury miles an hour miles per hour minute motion National Debt nature nearly ocean oxygen plants pole population pounds pressure principle probably produce profits of stock proportion quadrupeds quantity rain remains rocks salt Scotland ship Sir Thomas Hardy species specific gravity square miles steam strata substances supposed surface taxes temperature tides tion tons variation vegetable velocity vessel votes weight whole wine yards
253. oldal - Whereas, were the capacities of our understandings well considered, the extent of our knowledge once discovered, and the horizon found which sets the bounds between the enlightened and dark parts of things, between what is and what is not comprehensible by us, men would perhaps, with less scruple, acquiesce in the avowed ignorance of the one, and employ their thoughts and discourse with more advantage and satisfaction in the other, 8.
78. oldal - ... into three parts ; the rent of land, the wages of labour, and the profits of stock ; and constitutes a revenue to three different orders of people ; to those who live by rent, to those who live by wages, and to those who live by profit.
13. oldal - Because of the various expansion of metals, respecting which no two pyrometers agree ; the changeable nature of the atmosphere ; the uncertainty as to the true level of the sea ; the extreme difficulty of measuring accurately the distance between the point of suspension and the centre of oscillation, and even of finding that centre...
6. oldal - Rules to know when the Moveable Feasts and Holy-days begin. EASTER-DAY, on which the rest depend, is always the first Sunday after the full moon which happens upon or next after the twenty-first day of March, and if the full moon happens upon a Sunday, Easter Day is the Sunday after.
34. oldal - The perceptions as well as the senses may be improved to our own disquiet, and we may, by diligent cultivation of the powers of dislike, raise in time an artificial fastidiousness, which shall fill the imagination with phantoms of turpitude, shew us the naked skeleton of every delight, and present us only with the pains of pleasure, and the deformities of beauty.
156. oldal - In every court there must be at least three constituent parts, the actor, reus, and judex; the actor, or plaintiff, who complains of an injury done; the reus, or defendant who is called upon to make satisfaction for it; and the judex, or judicial power, which is to examine the truth of the fact, to determine the law arising upon that fact, and if any injury appears to have been done, to ascertain and, by its officers, to apply the remedy.
284. oldal - ... cubic feet. Now, allowing two cubic feet of dust and bones for each individual animal, we shall have in this single vault the remains of at least 2500 bears...
261. oldal - I cannot better explain what I mean than by reminding you of what was taught us by the Professor of Anatomy, in respect to the natural position and movement of the feet. He observed that the fashion of turning them outwards was contrary to the intent of nature, as might be seen from the structure of the bones, and from the weakness that proceeded from that manner of standing. To this we may add the erect position...