Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action Amazons animal animal intelligence antennae aphides appear beavers bees Biichner birds carried caterpillar cells circumstances close column comb companions cuckoo Darwin dead direction display distance earth Ecitons eggs elephant emotions entrance evidence experiments fact feet female fish Forel formicarium friends glass grass habits Harvesting Ants head hive hole honey Huber Hymenoptera inches insects instance instinct intelligence killed labour larvae Lasius niger latter leaves legs MacCook male mandibles manner Melipona Moggridge monkey natural selection Nature nest never observed once pass pieces prey propolis pulled pupae queen quote reflex action remarkable returned round says seeds seems seen seized side similar Sir John Lubbock slaves soon species of ants spider surface swarm thread tion took trap-door tree turned wall wasp watched whole window workers yards young
1. oldal - THE INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SERIES. I. Forms of "Water : a Familiar Exposition of the Origin and Phenomena of Glaciers. By J. Tyndall, LL.D., FRS With 25 Illustrations. Eighth Edition. Crown 8vo, 5*. II. Physics and Politics ; or, Thoughts on the Application of the Principles of "Natural Selection " and " Inheritance
1. oldal - VI. On the Conservation of Energy. By Balfour Stewart, MA, LL.D., FRS With 14 Illustrations. Sixth Edition. Crown 8vo, $s. VII. Animal Locomotion ; or Walking, Swimming, and Flying. By JB Pettigrew, MD, FRS, etc. With 130 Illustrations.
169. oldal - Maclaurin, by a fluxionary calculation, which is to be found in the Transactions of the Royal Society of London. He has determined precisely the angle required ; and he found, by the most exact mensuration the subject could admit, that it is the very angle in which the three planes in the bottom of the cell of a honeycomb do actually meet.
358. oldal - ... repast. I had not long habituated him to this taste of liberty, before he began to be impatient for the return of the time when he might enjoy it. He would invite me to the garden by drumming upon my knee, and by a look of such expression as it was not possible to mis* interpret.
2. oldal - XIV. FUNGI: their Nature, Influences, Uses, &c. By MC Cooke, MD, LL.D. Edited by the Rev. MJ Berkeley, MA, FLS With numerous Illustrations. Second Edition. Crown 8vo. price 5*.
2. oldal - XIII. The History of the Conflict between Religion and Science. By JW Draper, MD, LL. D. Seventh Edition. Crown 8vo. Cloth, price 5$. XIV. Fungi ; their Nature, Influences, Uses, &c.
138. oldal - A nest was made near one of our tramways, and to get to the trees the ants had to cross the rails, over which the waggons were continually passing and repassing. Every time they came along a number of ants were crushed to death. They persevered in crossing for some time, but at last set to work and tunnelled underneath each rail. One day, when the waggons were not running, I stopped up the tunnels with stones ; but although great numbers carrying leaves were thus cut off from the nest, they would...
27. oldal - Lonsdale, informs me that he placed a pair of landsnails (Helix pomatia), one of which was weakly, in a small and illprovided garden. After a short time the strong and healthy individual disappeared, and was traced by its track of slime over a wall into an adjoining well-stocked garden. Mr. Lonsdale concluded that it had deserted its sickly mate; but after an absence...
300. oldal - ... its load with a jerk, and quite disengaged it from the nest. It remained in this situation a short time, feeling about with the extremities of its wings, as if to be convinced whether the business was properly executed, and then dropped into the nest again.