The American Biographical Dictionary: Containing an Account of the Lives, Characters, and Writings of the Most Eminent Persons Deceased in North America from Its First Settlement
J.P. Jewett, 1857 - 905 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The American Biographical Dictionary: Containing an Account of the ..., 2. kötet
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 1981
afterwards aged American appointed army arrived became born Boston British brother called cause character chief Christ Christian church colony command congress Conn continued court daughter death died discourse distinguished Divine duties early elected engaged England established faithful father formed four gave gospel governor graduated graduated at Harvard Hist honor hundred Indians interests Island James John judge July June labors land learning letter lived London March married Mass mind minister missionary native ordained pastor peace persons Philadelphia physician preached preacher president professor published received religion removed respected returned Samuel senator sent Sept sermon settled society soon spirit studied succeeded Thomas tion took town United various Virginia Washington wife wrote York
330. oldal - From my childhood up, my mind had been full of objections against the doctrine of God's sovereignty in choosing whom He would to eternal life, and rejecting whom He pleased, leaving them eternally to perish, and be everlastingly tormented in hell. It used to appear like a horrible doctrine to me.
431. oldal - Treason, treason!" echoed from every part of the house. Henry faltered not for an instant, but, taking a loftier attitude, and fixing on the speaker an eye of fire, he added " may profit by their example. If this be treason, make the most of it...
92. oldal - I thank God, there are no free schools nor printing, and I hope we shall not have these hundred years; for learning has brought disobedience, and heresy, and sects into the world, and printing has divulged them, and libels against the best government. God keep us from both!
371. oldal - I think the system of morals and his religion as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is like to see, but I apprehend it has received various corrupting changes, and I have with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his divinity...
14. oldal - The die is now cast; I have passed the Rubicon ; swim or sink — live or die — survive or perish, with my country, is my unalterable determination.
329. oldal - THEY say there is a young lady in [New Haven] who is beloved of that Great Being, who made and rules the world, and that there are certain seasons in which this Great Being, in some way or other invisible, comes to her and fills her mind with exceeding sweet delight, and that she hardly cares for anything, except to meditate on Him...
17. oldal - You will think me transported with enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the toil, and blood, and treasure, that it will cost us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States.
437. oldal - Farewell, Babylon! Farewell, Rome ! but we will say, Farewell, dear England ! Farewell the Church of God in England, and all the Christian friends there ! We do not go to New England as Separatists from the Church of England; though we cannot but separate from the corruptions in it. But we go to practise the positive part of Church reformation, and propagate the Gospel in America!
41. oldal - Nothing but to request you will witness to the world that I die like a brave man.
109. oldal - Two darling sons and a brother have I lost by savage hands, which have also taken from me forty valuable horses, and abundance of cattle. Many dark and sleepless nights have I been a companion for owls, separated from the cheerful society of men, scorched by the summer's sun, and pinched by the winter's cold — an instrument ordained to settle the wilderness.
The Spiritual Self in Everyday Life: The Transformation of Personal ...
Korlátozott előnézet - 1989
A Könyvkereső összes találata »
Seduction, Prostitution, and Moral Reform in New York, 1830-1860
Larry Howard Whiteaker
Korlátozott előnézet - 1997