The Literary Policy of the Church of Rome Exhibited: In an Account of Her Damnatory Catalogues Or Indexes, Both Prohibitory and Expurgatory. With Various Illustrative Extracts, Anecdotes, and Remarks
J. Duncan, 1830 - 371 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
addition adds allowed Anno appears argument authority beginning Bible Bishop Bull called Cardinal Catalogue Catholic cause censures character Christian church condemned considered contains copy corrected Council decree direct doctrine document Edict edition effect English evidence examination express fact faith fathers former give given hands heresy heretics History holy important Index Indice Inquisition Inquisitor instance issued Italian Italy Jesuits least letter Libri Librorum libros likewise matter means mentioned nature necessary notice object observed occurs original papacy papal Paris particular passage perhaps persons Pius pope possess preface present principal printed profess prohibited prohibitorum Protestant publication published quæ reader reason referred Reformation religion remarkable reprint respect Roman Roman Index Rome Rules Spain Spanish sunt things tion translation volume whole writer
55. oldal - Inasmuch as it is manifest from experience, that if the Holy Bible, translated into the vulgar tongue, be indiscriminately allowed to every one, the temerity of men will cause more evil than good to arise from it, it is, on this point, referred to the judgment of the bishops or inquisitors, who may, by the advice of the priest or confessor, permit the reading of the Bible translated into the vulgar tongue by Catholic authors, to those persons whose faith and piety, they apprehend, will be augmented,...
277. oldal - The evidence taken before the select committees of the Houses of Lords and Commons, appointed in the sessions of 1824 and 1825, to inquire into the state of Ireland. London: J.
176. oldal - Utile et necessarium est omni tempore, omni loco et omni personarum generi studere et cognoscere spiritum, pietatem et mysteria sacrae Scripturae.
334. oldal - Trent, labours with all its might, and by every means, to translate, or rather to pervert, the Holy Bible into the vulgar languages of every nation; from which proceeding it is greatly to be feared, that what is ascertained to have happened...
229. oldal - And when they had rent in pieces the books of the law which they found, they burnt them with fire. And wheresoever was found with any the book of the testament, or if any consented to the Lw, the king's commandment was, that they should put him to death.
26. oldal - Postremus Catalogus Haereticorum Romae Confiatus. 1559. Continens Alios Quatuor Catalogos qui post Decennium in Italia nec non eos omnes qui in Gallia et Flandria post renatum Evangelium fuerunt editi. Cum Annotationibus Vergerii, MDLX Colophon, Corvinus excudebat Pfortzheimii, 1560.
326. oldal - ESSAY on the ORIGIN and PURITY of the Primitive Church of the British Isles, and its Independence upon the Church of Rome.
334. oldal - Reprove, beseech, be instant in season and out of season, in all patience and doctrine, that the faithful intrusted to you (adhering strictly to the rules of our Congregation of the Index) be persuaded, that if the Sacred Scriptures be every where indiscriminately published, more evil than advantage will arise thence, on account of the rashness of men.