Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
abolitionists anti-slavery army battle became Boston called carried cause character Chase Christian church command Congress constitution course Douglas duty early expressed fact father feeling field fight force friends Garrison gave give Governor Grant hand head heart hold honor hope hour human interest justice kind labor land letter liberty Lincoln living looked March Massachusetts master meeting military mind moral mother nature never once opening party passed political poor position practical present President principle question rebel received remarkable seemed Senate side slave slavery society South southern speech stand strong success Sumner things thought thousand tion took true turned Union United Washington whole young
38. oldal - We are now far into the fifth year since a policy was initiated with the avowed object and confident promise of putting an end to slavery agitation. Under the operation of that policy, that agitation has not only not ceased, but has constantly augmented. In my opinion it will not cease until a crisis shall have been reached and passed. 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.
322. oldal - ... in weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Besides those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak ? who is offended, and I burn not?
66. oldal - If the Almighty Ruler of Nations, with his eternal truth and justice, be on your side of the North, or on yours of the South, that truth 292 and that justice will surely prevail by the judgment of this great tribunal of the American people.
66. oldal - The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the government...
65. oldal - I trust this will not be regarded as a menace, but only as the declared purpose of the Union that it will constitutionally defend and maintain itself.
39. oldal - If we could first know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could better judge what to do, and how to do it. We are now far into the fifth year since a policy was initiated with the avowed object and confident promise of putting an end to slavery agitation. Under the operation of that policy, that agitation has not only not ceased, but has constantly augmented. In my opinion it will not cease until a crisis shall have been reached and passed.
64. oldal - But I have said nothing but what I am willing to live by, and, if it be the pleasure of Almighty God, to die by.
38. oldal - A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved; I do not expect the house to fall; but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction, or its advocates will push...
105. oldal - You lay a wreath on murdered LINCOLN'S bier; You, who with mocking pencil wont to trace, Broad for the self-complacent British sneer, His length of shambling limb, his furrowed face, His gaunt, gnarled hands, his unkempt, bristling hair, His garb uncouth, his bearing ill at ease, His lack of all we prize as debonair, Of power or will to shine, of art to please; You, whose smart pen backed up the pencil's laugh, Judging each step as though the way were plain: Reckless, so it could point its paragraph,...