Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
admiration admitted alluded amount Anaxagoras ancient Ariosto Athenians Athens banks beautiful cause character chief chief-justice Cimon civilization color constitutional Corcyra court currency death Druids Duke eloquence Elpinice equal Europe fact favor force genius give Greek honor hundred important intellectual Italy judge judicial justice King labor language latter learning Leo X less light Lope de Vega Lord Machiavelli Madrid Marshall means ment mind nature never opinion orator Orlando Furioso party passage passed Peloponnesus Pericles philosopher Pisistratus Plutarch poem poet political possessed present prince production Quintilian reason refrangibility regarded remark rendered respect says soon Spain Spanish Spartans speak spectrum spirit statesman superior Taney Taney's tells thou thought Thucydides tion true truth Veronica Gambara Wallenstein whig whole writing
260. oldal - Peace to all such! but were there one whose fires True genius kindles, and fair fame inspires ; Blest with each talent and each art to please, And born to write, converse, and live with ease: Should such a man, too fond to rule alone, Bear, like the Turk, no brother near the throne...
263. oldal - In vain, they gaze, turn giddy, rave, and die. Religion, blushing, veils her sacred fires, And unawares Morality expires. Nor public flame, nor private dares to shine; Nor human spark is left, nor glimpse divine Lo, thy dread empire, Chaos ! is restored; Light dies before thy uncreating word : Thy hand, great Anarch, lets the curtain fall, And universal darkness buries all.
19. oldal - And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
67. oldal - To exercise by its board of directors, or duly authorized officers or agents, subject to law, all such incidental powers as shall be necessary to carry on the business of banking; by discounting and negotiating promissory notes, drafts, bills of exchange, and other evidences of debt...
253. oldal - What though, in solemn silence, all Move round the dark terrestrial ball; What though no real voice nor sound Amid their radiant orbs be found; In reason's ear they all rejoice, And utter forth a glorious voice, For ever singing as they shine, The hand that made us is divine.
261. oldal - Who but must laugh if such a man there be ? Who would not weep if Atticus were he?
259. oldal - But why then publish? Granville the polite, And knowing Walsh, would tell me I could write; Well-natured Garth inflamed with early praise, And Congreve loved, and Swift endured my lays; The courtly Talbot, Somers, Sheffield read, Even mitred Rochester would nod the head, And St. John's self (great Dryden's friend before) With open arms received one poet more.
411. oldal - Learn from yon orient shell to love thy foe, And store with pearls the hand that brings thee woe : Free, like yon rock, from base vindictive pride, Emblaze with gems the wrist that rends thy side : Mark where yon tree rewards the stony shower With fruit nectareous, or the balmy flower : All Nature calls aloud — " Shall man do less Than heal the smiter, and the railer bless ?
168. oldal - I repeat the declaration made a year ago, that "while I remain in my present position I shall not attempt to retract or modify the emancipation proclamation, nor shall I return to slavery any person who is free by the terms of that proclamation, or by any of the Acts of Congress.