« ElőzőTovább »
וידבר אל־עפרון באזני עם הארץ לאמר אך אם אתה לו שמעני נתתי כסף וגו :
: a. How is this passage rendered in the Authorized Version? Is the rendering consistent with the context ?
b. What variant does the Samaritan text exhibit! The LXX. and Peschito support this reading ? c. Translate the rendering of Onkelos :
בְּרַם אִם אַתְּ עָבִיד לי טיבוּ קַבֵּל מְנָי וגו : ܘܟܕ ܓܩܠܪܘܓܡ̈ܠܐ ܠܡܫܬܐ : ܢܣܟ ܠܟܐ .22
.uirܫ .6 ܩܪܫܐ ܕܕܗܒܐ : ܩܠܬܩܠܐ ܩܠܬܩܠܗ: ܘܬܪܝܢ ܫܐܪܝܢ ܥܠ ܐܝܨܝܗ. ܩܢ ܥܣܪܐ ܕܕܗܟܐ ܩܠܬܩܠܗܘܢ.
a. Supply the vowels in this passage, and translate it literally.
6. Notice the difference between the Hebrew and the Syriac, and also the difference between the Hebrew and Hebræo-Samaritan texts of the passage.
c. The following is the rendering of the LXX. :
εγένετο δε ήνίκα επαύσαντο πάσαι αι κάμηλοι πίνουσαι, έλαβεν ο άνθρωπος ενώτια χρυσά ανά δραχμήν ολκής, και δύο ψέλλια επι τας χείρας αυτής. δέκα χρυσών ολκή αυτών.
How is the introduction of πάσαι to be accounted for ? ανά δραχuniv-does this correctly render the Hebrew? In the Vatican Codex the reading is didpaxuriv; how may this be accounted for?
were also examined vivâ voce in the selected Chapters of Genesis, Dr. Wall's work, and in the selected Chapters of Walton's Prolegomena,
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY PRIZE EXAMINATION.
THE EPISTLES OF S. IGNATIUS.
THE PROFESSOR OF ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
1. Bishop Pearson enumerates four Collections of the Ignatian Epistles ? 2. (a). How many Epistles bear the name of S. Ignatius?
(6). Of these how many spurious ?
(d). Date of the first publication of three Latin Epistles ? 3. Ignatian Epistles when, where, and by whom, first published in Greek? Mention the editor's real, as well as his assumed, name.
4. To what passage in the Epistle to the Smyrnæans do we owe the investigations and discoveries of Abp. Ussher?
5. Why did Ussher seek especially in England for MSS. of the Epistles ?
6. Date and place of publication of Ussher's edition of the Ignatian Epistles ?
7. Had he not previously printed for the first time some document connected with these Epistles ?
8. From what MS. did Isaac Vossius publish the Greek text of the Epistles, and when ?
9. What does Abp. Ussher's Appendix Ignatiana contain ?
10. Who first published the Latin Acts of the Martyrdom of S. Ignatius ?
11. The Greek Acts, together with one of the Epistles, were set forth by whom, and when ?
12. To what date does Mr. Cureton wish to assign the Syriac version of the three Epistles which he first published in the year 1845?
13. In what light should we regard the recension which the Syriac version represents ?—and to what age does it really belong, according to Archdeacon Churton and others ?
14. Mr. Cureton (Corp. Ignat. p. 186.) ascribes to Beda (A. D. 701.) a work which is known not to have been composed before the tenth cen
15. In what respect are the third and fourth editions of Hefele's Patrum 4postolicorum Opera much superior to the earlier impressions, published in the years 1839 and 1842?
16. Which of the Ignatian Epistles is most frequently cited by ancient writers ?
17. How did it happen that S. Ignatius was especially opposed to the Docetæ ?
18. Ussher and others have argued against the genuineness of the Epistle to Polycarp on the ground that the people of Smyrna are addressed in the sixth section of it. How is this objection answered ?-and can you cite verses from
the Apocalypse, in which anything similar appears with respect to S. Polycarp and his people?
19. What word used by Eusebius, and translated by S. Jerom, may be adduced to prove that Abp. Ussher was not justified in rejecting the Epistle to S. Polycarp, while he admitted the genuineness of the other six Ignatian Epistles
20. Only one of the ancient writers confounds the Epistle to the Smyrnæans with that to Polycarp ?
21. How may the error into which Abp. Ussher fell, respecting the Epistle to S. Polycarp, be possibly accounted for?
22. 'Εκκλησία αγία .... ήν και ασπάζομαι εν τω πληρώματι, κ. τ. λ. (Ep. ad Trall. ad init.) Can these words be illustrated by a remarkable verse in S. Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians ?
23. "Ος.... εβαπτίσθη, ίνα τω πάθει το ύδωρ καθαρίση. (Ad Ephes. §. xviii.) Similar passage in our Baptismal Service ?
24. Και υμίν δε πρέπει μη συγχράσθαι τη ηλικία του επισκόπου καθώς έγνων και τους γίους πρεσβυτέρους, ου προσειληφότας την palvouévny vEwTEPIŅv táčiv. (Ad Magnes. § iii.)
(a). Translate this passage. (3). Explain the words, συγχράσθαι, προσειληφότας, and νεωτερικών τάξιν. .
(c). In what verse only in the New Testament is the verb ovexpáopai employed ?
(d). How is the last expression interpreted by the adversaries of Episcopacy ?
25. Λόγος αΐδιος, ουκ από σιγής προελθών. (Ad Magnes. 5 viii.)
(a). Give an account of the controversy concerning this passage, which Mr. Cureton (Corpus Ignatianum, Introd. p. lxiii.) considers “so very strong, and indeed almost an undeniable argument” against the genuineness of the Shorter Recension of the Ignatian Epistles.
(6). If there be not here any allusion to the tenets of the heretic Valentinus, can you explain the words with reference to the doctrine of any sect connected with the Jews ?-Quote two striking verses from the Book of Wisdom, relative to “Silence" and the “ Almighty Word.”
26. In the Salutation prefixed to the Epistle of S. Ignatius to the Romans, a strange alteration in this passage-..εκκλησία .. ήτις και προκάθηται εν τόπο χωρίου Ρωμαίων-has been proposed, by means of which S. Ignatius would be made to teach that the Roman Pontiff is the Vicegerent of God ?
27. In the same Salutation, how does Hefele translate the words, apokaonuévn tñs åyánns, so as to make S. Ignatius appear to state that the Church of Rome presides over the whole body of Christians ?
28. Socrates, in his Ecclesiastical History, (vi. viii.) informs us, that the practice of chanting in churches was introduced by S. Ignatius. Can you refer to the passage in his Epistle to the Romans, in the Greek of
which Mr. Cureton (Corp. Igrat. p. 293.) supposes that some alteration was made, with a view to favour this notions
29. . ίνα ών κατάκριτος ώς Απόστολος υμίν διατάσσωμαι. (Ad Trall. S. iii.)-Ουχ ώς Πέτρος και Παύλος διατάσσομαι υμίν. (Ad Rom. § iv.)—Baratier founds an argument on the former, and Whiston on both, of these passages, relative to a celebrated ancient document?
30. Ουχ ότι παρ' υμίν μερισμόν εύρον, αλλ' αποδιυλισμένον. (Ad Philadelph. § iii.) What is Hefele's reading for the last word ?-and where does diülisóvres occur in the Gospel of S. Matthew?
31. .. με, ως προειδότα τον μερισμόν τινων. (Ad Philad. S. vii.)Dr. Jacobson objects to Abp. Wake's translation of poeldóra! How do you understand the word ?
32. Επεί ήκουσά τινων λεγόντων, ότι εάν μη εν τοίς αρχαίοις εύρω, εν τώ ευαγγελίω ου πιστεύω και λέγοντάς μου αυτούς, “ ότι γέγραπ. ται,” απεκρίθησάν μοι, «ότι πρόκειται.” (Ad Philadelph. 8. viii.)
(a). Translate and explain this passage.
(6). In the earlier editions of his work, Hefele had adopted a reading which he afterwards corrected ?
(c). Abp. Wake’s translation of the first clause ?
(d). Vossius derives an argument from one interpretation of these words, relative to corruptions in copies of the Hebrew Scriptures ?
(e). Various senses of the last word ?—Meaning assigned to it by Dr. Routh?
33. Και ότε προς τους περί Πέτρον ήλθεν, έφη αυτοίς, “Λάβετε, ψηλαφήσατέ με, και ίδετε, ότι ουκ ειμι δαιμόνιον ασώματον.” (Ad Smyrn. §. iii.)
(a). Why is it extremely unlikely that these words were taken by S. Ignatius from the Gospel according to the Hebrews, though S. Jerom states that such was the case, and Ussher and Valesius agree with him?
(6). They were to be found in another apocryphal document, which Hefele supposes to have been their source ?
(c). Whence, in the opinion of Bp. Pearson and Casaubon, were those words derived ?
(d). Upon what passage in Scripture does the narrative seem really to rest?
(e). Can you in any way account for the mention made of S. Peter by S. Ignatius upon this occasion ?
34. S. Ignatius has been reproved because that in one recension of his Epistles the names of certain heretics appear. Of what has he been accused ?-and how is the charge shown to be groundless ?
35. Why did the Gnostics abstain from the celebration of the Eucharist? (Ad Smyrn. § vi.)
36. S. Ignatius (Ad Smyrn. $ v.) would not receive commendation from any one who should call him Osogópos, while refusing to grant another name to his Divine Master? How does he designate such a person?
37. Mention the earliest and the second occasion, on which we find the epithet “Catholic” applied to the Church of Christ.
38. Tò Oéua åpbapoia kai (wr) aiúvios. (Ad Polyc. §. ii.)—Meaning of the word tépa? What is Milner's absurd translation of it in his Church History, Cent. ii. Chap. i. ?
39. (a). In the time of S. Ignatius, the Assemblies of Christians were called by a name which, s. Augustin (On Psalm lxxxii.) tells us, the Apostles did not use ?
(1). Can it be shown that S. Augustin was mistaken?
(c). Another word was afterwards employed, and the former name disused? and why?
40. Εί τις δύναται εν αγνεία μένειν.. έν άκαυχησία μενέτω.. και εαν γνωστή πλέον του επισκόπου, έφθαρται. (Ad Polyc. 8. ν.)-What meaning does Dr. Jacobson put upon these words?
41. Selden's opinion, expressed in his Uxor Hebraica, (ii. 28.) with regard to the celebration of Marriages by the Clergy, is confúted by a passage in the Epistle to S. Polycarp ?
42. The word oeódpouos, which occurs in the Epistle to Polycarp, (§ vii.) has been misinterpreted both by those who reject the Ignatian Epistles, and by Cardinal Baronius (ad an. lviii. n. cii.) ?
43. δι' ολίγων υμάς γραμμάτων παρεκάλεσα. (Ad Polyc. 8. vii.)What is Bp. Pearson's inference from these words ?—and can you quote an expression from S. Paul's Epistle to the Galatians, which shows that the argument is not conclusive ?
44. How did the Latin translation of the term θεομακαριστότατε, which occurs in the Epistle to S. Polycarp, (§. vii.) lead Bp. Pearson to suppose that the old Latin version was made before the year 650 ?
45. With reference to this last point, Archdeacon Churton remarks, (i. 112.) that the posthumous notes of Bp. Pearson, published by Smith, in one of which this argument is found, are not as valuable as those parts of that Prelate's work which he himself had perfected. Is there any definite
way in which Bp. Pearson's oversight may be accounted for? 46. Author, title, and date of the principal work in which the Ignatian Epistles were assailed ?
47. Date of Bishop Pearson's crushing reply?
[The remainder of the Examination was conducted viva voce.]