Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
albumen alcohol ammonia analysis angle animal Annals of Philosophy appears ARTICLE ascertained atmospheric atom azote barytes bodies carbonic acid chemical chloric acid chlorine Cloudy and fair colour combination combustion composed compound contains copper crystals decomposed dials dissolved Ditto earth effect evaporation experiments explosion feet fire-damp gases give glass grains heat hydrogen inches inclination iron latitude light likewise lime liquid magnesia matter means memoir mercury Metacentre metallic method mineral mixture Momentum muriatic acid nature nitric acid observed obtained opinion oxide oxygen oxymuriatic acid paper perpendicular phosphate phosphoric acid phosphorus plants plates portion potash precipitated present produced properties prussic acid published quantity rain remarkable result Robison rocks salt soda soluble solution specific gravity strontian substance sulphate sulphureted sulphuric acid supposed surface temperature theory thermometer tion tube vapour vegetable vessel volume weight wind
169. oldal - Theory of Moral Sentiments and in the Wealth of Nations. The Society therefore, I am persuaded, will listen with pleasure to the following short account of them, for which I am indebted to a gentleman who was formerly one of Mr. Smith's pupils, and who continued till his death to be one of his most intimate and valued friends.
419. oldal - While in the enjoyment of health, he had conversed with a friend on the subject of his death, and expressed a wish to be buried in some rural spot, sacred to peace and solitude, whither the charms of nature might invite the steps of the votary of the Muses, and the lover of science, and where the birds might sing over his grave.
172. oldal - The boast of heraldry, the pomp of power, And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave, Await alike the inevitable hour — The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
342. oldal - Mississippi ; and believing that my services might be of advantage to some of these parties, in promoting your Excellency's design, while the best opportunities would be afforded me of procuring subjects for the work which I have so much at heart ; under these impressions I beg leave to offer myself for any of these expeditions ; and can be ready at a short notice to attend your Excellency's orders.
163. oldal - Telegraphic communications, with as much rapidity, and perhaps less expense, than any hitherto employed. I do not know how far experiment has determined Galvanic action, to be communicated by means of wires; but there is no reason to suppose it confined, as to limits, certainly not as to time. Now by means of apparatus, fixed at certain distances, as telegraphic stations; by tubes for the decomposition of water and of metallic salts, &c.
74. oldal - Near to the 18th mile mark (it is to be observed that the measure commences from Emu Ford), a pile of stones attracted attention. It is close to the line of road, on the top of a rugged and abrupt ascent, and is supposed to have been placed there by Mr. Caley, as the extreme limit of his tour. Hence the Governor gave that part of the mountain the name of Caley's Repulse.
413. oldal - I bade adieu to Louisville, to which place I had four letters of recommendation, and was taught to expect much of everything there; but neither received one act of civility from those to whom I was recommended, one subscriber, nor one new bird; though I delivered my letters, ransacked the woods repeatedly, and visited all the characters likely to subscribe. Science or literature has not one friend in this place.
337. oldal - I shall have a few days' vacancy, and mean to be in town chief part of the time. I am most earnestly bent on pursuing my plan of making a collection of all the birds in this part of North America. Now I don't want you to throw cold water, as Shakspeare says, on this notion, Quixotic as it may appear.
244. oldal - Light ; exhibiting a summary Description of the Apparatus and Machinery best calculated for illuminating Streets, Houses, and Manufactories, with...