Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
acid action acts administered advantage aperient applied attended bath Blister body boiling bottles bowels Camphor Carbonate cause cold combination common Compound consequently containing Cream digestive diseases dissolve dose dram draught drops effects efficacious employed equal especially Essence excellent excite five fluid four frequently Ginger give given glass grains hair half hour important infusion invalid irritation kind known Lemon less Lime Magnesia means medicine mild milk Mineral minutes mixture nervous operation organs ounce pain persons pill pint POISONING possesses Powder preparation prevent produce properties purgative quantity remedy remove rendered rheumatism Root Rose saline salt says skin Soda solution sometimes Spirit spoonful springs stimulant stomach strain substance sufficient sugar surface table spoonful Take taken tea spoonful Tincture tion tonic usually valuable various Vinegar warm wine
54. oldal - How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank* Here will we sit, and let the sounds of music Creep in our ears: soft stillness and the night Become the touches of sweet harmony. Sit, Jessica. Look how the floor of heaven Is thick inlaid with patines...
122. oldal - Besides the apparent diurnal revolution of the heavens, there is another apparent motion which requires to be considered. It is well known to every one who has paid the least attention to this subject, that we do not perceive the same clusters of stars at every season of the year. If, for example, we take a view of the starry heavens on the first of October, at...
vi. oldal - There is nothing, Sir, too little for so little a creature as man. It is by studying little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery and as much happiness as possible'.
93. oldal - ... of its original weight Boiling is particularly applicable to vegetables, rendering them more soluble in the stomach, and depriving them of a considerable quantity of air, so injurious to weak stomachs. But, even in this case, the operation may be carried to an injurious extent; thus, potatoes are frequently boiled to the state of a dry, insipid powder, instead of being preserved in that state in which the parts of which they are composed are rendered soft and gelatinous, so as to retain their...
18. oldal - DISTILLED WATER. This, the purest state of water, may be readily obtained by fixing a curved tin tube, three or four feet long, to the spout of a tea kettle, and conducting its free end into a jar placed in a.
45. oldal - Buffering under infectious diseases; or, the vapor of hot vinegar is diffused through their apartments. It is a still more powerful disinfectant when it holds camphor and aromatic oils in solution : hence the great popularity of the preparations called Aromatic Vinegar and Thieves
107. oldal - in its dietetic relations, may be considered as intermediate between animal and vegetable food; it is easily assimilated, and therefore affords a quick supply of aliment to the system, while it does not excite that degree of vascular action which is produced by other animal matters.
21. oldal - Boil the ginger in three gallons of water for half an hour, then add the sugar, the juice, and the honey, with the remainder of the water, and strain through a cloth. When cold add the white of one egg, and half an ounce (fluid) of essence of lemon; after standing four days, bottle. This yields a very superior beverage, and one which will keep for many months.
93. oldal - In conducting this process, it is necesary to pay some attention to the quality of the water employed; thus, mutton boiled in hard water is more tender and juicy than when soft water is used; while vegetables, on the contrary, are rendered harder and less digestible when boiled in hard water.
102. oldal - ... effects. Its daily use in health prevents these symptoms, and it is capable in many instances of correcting that morbid condition of the stomach and intestines on which these symptoms depend. It is also extremely beneficial in assisting to restore the biliary, but more especially the renal secretions to a healthy condition, as well as in the treatment of various cutaneous eruptions originating in disorder of the digestive functions.