Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Cloudland; a Study on the Structure and Characters of Clouds
William Clement Ley
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2013
actual already altitude amount anticyclones appear Atlantic atmosphere barometric become belongs belt called cause Chart Cirro-filum Cirrus cloud clouds of Inclination commonly considerable continent Cumulo-nimbus Cumulus cyclone developed direction distribution disturbance dust earth's surface east effects elevation equator equatorial especially exist extensive fact fall formation frequently further give globe greater greatest heat hemisphere higher latitudes hour important increase indication Interfret Inversion land latter layers less lower mean motion mountain movement moving nearly Nimbus northern notice observer occurs ocean particles pass poles portion position precipitation present pressure produced radiation rain regarded regions rise season seen shower side similar slight southern Stratus Stratus Maculosus summer takes place temperature tion Trades tropical upper currents upward usually vapour variety varying velocity visible weather whole winds winter
164. oldal - ... considerable. Hence the interior and most violent portion of a cyclone, always gyrating from right to left in the northern hemisphere, and the contrary in the southern, must always gradually move towards the pole of the hemisphere in which it is. While between the equator and the tropical calm belt, it is carried •westward by the general westward motion of the atmosphere there, but after passing the tropical calm belt, the general motion of the atmosphere carries it eastward, and hence the...
118. oldal - Cirrus moving from South is generally an indication of /Unsettled weather, especially in summer. The temperature is then usually above the mean for the time of year. " Cirrus from South-west indicates unsettled and sometimes stormy weather in winter. In summer it often precedes thunderstorms, but with a high barometric pressure and 'a high temperature it frequently has no disturbing influence, and is then usually replaced by Cirro macula.
118. oldal - Cirrux are held to be of service for forecasting purposes, the following rules by the author may be considered useful and instructive : — "Cirrus moving from North or North-east with a high barometer is a sign of settled weather in summer and of temporarily fine weather in winter. With a low barometer it is a sign of marked improvement in weather.
164. oldal - ... being greater on the polar side, where the deflecting forces which cause it are greatest, its action upon the atmosphere in advance of it is greater than on the equatorial side, where these forces are much less, and hence new portions of the atmosphere are being continually brought into action on the one side, while the resistance of the earth's surface, and the adjacent portions of atmosphere on the other side, are continually overcoming the comparatively weak forces there, and destroying the...
12. oldal - ... which are not caused in this way. The second class of clouds are termed clouds of interfret. Interfret is explained as the action of two air currents on one another, the two currents differing -in velocity, or direction, or both, and producing a wave motion or eddy motion at the surface of contact. " Now if the upper current be colder than the lower, as will usually be the case, and if the lower current contain watervapour near its maximum tension, it is evident that condensation will very likely...
118. oldal - Hast, a rare occurrence, is a sign of fine weather in winter, but of unsettled weather in summer. " Cirrus moving from South-east (but it rarely does so with a low and unsteady barometer) is a sign of improving weather in winter, and in summer frequently indicates coming thunderstorms. " Cirrus moving from South is generally an indication of /Unsettled weather, especially in summer. The temperature is then usually above the mean for the time of year. " Cirrus from South-west indicates unsettled and...
176. oldal - On the other hand, under the same circumstances, let the cirrus appear first in the NNE, and travel from a northerly point, we are not then likely to experience more than a few slight showers of sleet or snow, with only a moderate backing and veering of the wind.