Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Half Brothers; Or, the Head and the Hand, Tr. by L. Lawford
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2019
Agenor Aïssa already appeared approached arms army arrived asked await beheld beneath Bertrand blood Bretons brother captain castle cause Caverley chevalier Christian command constable continued cried crowns death demanded Don Frederick Don Henry Don Pedro Donna Maria door Duguesclin English entered exclaimed eyes face fear followed France gain girl give gold Grand guards Hafiz hand head heard heart honour hope horse hour hundred journey King knight leave letter lips Listen longer look lord master Mauleon means Messire moment Moor Moorish Mothril Muscaron never once passed present prince prisoner Queen quitted raised reached received remained replied returned seemed senora side silent sire smile soldiers Spain speak squire sword taken tell tent thought thousand took troop true turned voice watch whilst wish woman young
457. oldal - It is scarcely surprising that Harrison Ainsworth should have secured to himself a very wide popularity, when we consider how happily he has chosen his themes. Sometimes, by the luckiest inspiration, he has chosen a romance of captivating and enthralling fascinations, such as ' Crichton,' the
453. oldal - ... practical wisdom — these works abound in illustrations that teach benevolence to the rich, and courage to the poor; they glow with the love of freedom ; they speak a sympathy with all high aspirations, and all manly struggle ; and where, in their more tragic portraitures, they depict the dread images of guilt and woe, they so clear our judgment by profound analysis, while they move our hearts by terror or compassion, that we learn to detect and stifle in ourselves the evil thought which we...
457. oldal - Old St. Paul's,' &c. But the readers of Mr. Ainsworth— who number thousands upon thousands — need hardly be informed of this; and now that a uniform edition of his works is published, we do not doubt but that this large number of readers even will be considerably increased.
453. oldal - The above are printed on superior paper, bound in cloth. Each volume is embellished with an Illustration ; and this Standard Edition is admirably suited for private, select, and public Libraries. The odd Numbers and Parts to complete volumes may be obtained...
453. oldal - No collection of prose fictions, by any single author, contains the same variety of experience — the same amplitude of knowledge and thought — the same combination of opposite extremes, harmonized by an equal mastership of art ; here— lively and sparkling fancies ; there. vigorous passion or practical wisdom — these works abound in illustrations that teach benevolence to the rich, and courage to the poor; they glow with the love of freedom ; they speak a sympathy with all high aspirations,...
454. oldal - Old St. Paul's.' Scarcely less ability, or, rather, we should say, perhaps more correctly, scarcely less adroitness in the choice of a new theme, in the instance of one of his latest literary productions, viz., the
454. oldal - Admirable Crichton.' Sometimes the scene and the very title of some renowned structure, a palace, a prison, or a fortress. It is thus with the ' Tower of London,' ' Windsor Castle,