Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
adoring Africa altar ancient animal appears arms Athens Australia bas-relief belonging birds blue body Bronze Bust Calcareous stone called Cast chiefly collection coloured column common consists contain covered crystals Dark deceased dedicated to Osiris dynasty Earl Europe feed feet female figures fish foot four Fragment front fruits goddess granite Greek green ground hand head holding India inhabit inscribed inscription insects iron Isis Island kinds king kneeling live lower monarch mummy native North objects offering ornamented painted piece placed porcelain portion Presented probably receiving representing Roman Room Salt's scribe sculptures seated Sepulchral tablet shape Shelf shell side similar slab South America species specimens standing statue substances supposed Table temple Thebes tomb upper varieties various vase walking Wall wearing West wife Wood
233. oldal - They are, under the point of view of religion and philosophy, wholly rotten, and from the sole of the foot to the crown of the head there is no soundness in them.
117. oldal - ... this part of the frieze are represented divinities and deified heroes, seated; namely, Castor and Pollux, Ceres and Triptolemus, Jupiter and Juno, and JEsculapius and Hygeia. There was originally a third slab, which represented four other divinities, also seated, but it has disappeared for many years. On the right and left of these sacred characters., are trains of females with their faces directed to the gods, to whom they are carrying gifts: we see also directors or regulators of the procession,...
117. oldal - The bas-reliefs which compose this frieze are arranged, as nearly as can be ascertained, in the order in which they were originally placed in the Parthenon, several alterations having been made on their removal to their present situation, in consequence of a more careful examination and minute comparison of them with drawings made before their removal from the temple.
99. oldal - Government in the years 1842—1846, under the direction of Sir C. Fellows, by whom the greater part of them were discovered. They consist of sculptured remains, ranging in date from the subjugation of the country by the Persians, BC 545, to the period of the Byzantine Empire.
117. oldal - The sculptures from 17 to 90 (inclusive) compose the exterior frieze of the cella of the Parthenon, which embellished the upper part of the walls within the colonnade at the height of the frieze of the pronaos, and which was continued in an uninterrupted series of sculpture entirely round the temple.
122. oldal - ¿^а?хаЛоi, were :,upposed to contain a powerful charm. This practice had, however, nearly obliterated the inscription.'' INSCRIPTIONS RELATING TO TEMPLES IN ATHENS. Nos. 165, 168, 171, 185, 223, 267, 269, 273, 276, 282, 379. The first of these is now marked No. 165*. It is a Greek inscription from Athens, signifying that certain gifts, which are specified, had been consecrated to some goddess, probably Venus, by a female who held the office of lighter of the lamps, and interpreter of dreams,...
131. oldal - ... is leading a ram to an altar, the rest are in attitudes of devotion ||. No. 280. A fragment of a bas-relief, representing a female sitting ^f . No. 293. ' A bas-relief, representing a votive figure of Cybele, seated in a kind of small temple **. No. 361. A fragment of a bas-relief, representing...