« ElőzőTovább »
ST. LUKE, I.
ST, JOON I.
13. But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias : for thy prayer is heard ; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear theo a son, and thou shalt call bis Dame John.
14. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine por strong drink ; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
16. And many of the chil. dren of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
18. And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
19. And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.
20. And, bebold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
21. And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple.
2:. And when he came out he could not speak unto them : and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple : for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless.
23. And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.
24. And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself.
ST. LUKE, I.
ST. JOHN, 1.
THE GOSPEL OF ST.
five months, saying,
25. Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.
Continued P. 5.
1. THE BOOK of the geon neration of JESUS CHRIST, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
2. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;
3. And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom ; and Esrom begat Aram;
4. And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson ; and Naasson be. gat Salmon ;
5. And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab ; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth ; and Obed begat Jesse;
6. And Jesse* begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;
7. And Solomon begat Roboam ;
and Roboam begat Abia ; and Abia begat Asa;
8. And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram ; and Joram begat Ozias ;
9. And Ozias begat Joatham ; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;
10. And Ezekias begat Mapasses ; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias ;
11. And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon :
12. And after they were brought to Babylon, Jecho. nias begat Salathiel ; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel ;
13. And Zorobabel begat Abiud ; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor ;
14. And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim ; and Achim begat Eliud ;
15. And Eliud begat Elea. zar; and Eleazar begat Mat. than; and Matthan begat) Jacob;
L. III. 84 to 31. P. 17. 1
*L. III, 31. P. 10, 17.
Note. For the genealogy by St. Luke sce P. 16, 17.
The troo genealogics cannot be placed together here; one being in the ascending, the other in the descending line. But a comparatire table will be found at the end of the Gospels.
Coutra. L. III. $1 to 20. P. 16.
28. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, tho Lord is with thee : blessed art thou among women.
29. And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. 30. And the angel said unto
Fear not, Mary : for thou hast found favour with God.
19. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
20. But while he thought on these things, bebold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife : for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
21. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS : for he shall save his people from their sins.
31. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call bis name JESÚS.
32. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest : and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David :
ST. MATTHEW, I.
Sr. LUKE, I.
Sr. JOUN, 1.
33. And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever ; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34. Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man ?
35. And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy [Ghost] shall come upon thee, (Spirit.-A.) and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee : there. M. I. 18. fore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
36. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also con. ceived a son in her old age : and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
37. For with God nothing shall be impossible.
38. And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.
39. And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;
40. And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.
41. And it came to pass that when Elisabeth heard the salu. tation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost :
42. And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women ; and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
43. And whence is this to ‘me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
44. For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
45. And blessed is she that believed : for there shall be a performance of those things
St. MATTHEW, II.
ST. LUKE, I.
which were told her from the Lord.
46. And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden : for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49. For he that is mighty hath done to me gre things; and holy is his name.
50. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51. He hath shewed strength with his arm ; he hath scat. tered the proud in the imagi. nation of their hearts.
62. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53. He hath filled the hungry with good things ; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54. He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy ;
55. As he epake to fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.
56. And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own house.
57. Now Elisabeth's fulltimo came that she should be de. livered ; and she brought forth a son,
58. And her neighbours and her cousins heard how the Lord had showed great mercy upon her and they rejoiced with her.
59. And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.
60. And his mother answered and said, Not 80; but he shall be called John.
61. And they said unto her, There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name.
62. And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.
63. And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying, His name is John. And they marvelled all.