« ElőzőTovább »
St. MATTHEW, XXVIII. St. MARK, XVI.
ST. LUKE, XXIV.
ST. JOHN, XX. 8. And they departed quick. 8. And they went out quickly 9. And returned from the ly from the sepulchre ;
and fled from the sepulchre ; Bepulchre, with fear and great joy : for they trembled and were
the eleven, and to all the rest.
2. Then shef runneth and risen, early the first day of the 10. It was Mary Magdalene, cometh to Simon Peter and to * M. XXVIII. 1, 9, 10. week, he appeared first to Mary and Joanna, and Mary the mother the other disciple whom Jesus
Mk. xvi. 1. Magdalene,* out whom he had of James, and other women that loved, and saith unto them, L. XXIV. 1, 15. cast seven devils,
were with them, which told these They have taken away the Lord J. XX. 14. P. 179.
10. And she went and told things unto the apostles. out of the sepulchre, and wet them that had been with her;
know not where they have laid as they mourned and wept.
him.t 9. 1 And as they went to
M. XXVIII. 1, 7, 9, 10. tell his disciples, behold Jesus met them, saying, All hail !
See J. 20, 17. And they came, and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
10. Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid : go tell my brethren, that they go into See M. XXVIII. 7. Galilee : and there shall they see me.
11. Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and See M. XXVII. 65. showed unto the chief Priests all the things that were done.
12. And when they were assembled with the Elders, and had taken counsel, they gave
“ Several of the ancient heretics
received only the Gospel of large money unto the soldiers, St. Mark : others, among the
13. Saying, say ye, His dis- Catholics, rejected the last ciples came by night and stole twelve verses of this Gospel, him away while we slept.
i.e., from v. 9 to 20 of this
chap. 14. And if this come to the
" London Encyc., 1829, Mark.". Governor's ears, we will per. [The following twe ve verses of suade him, and secure you.
St. Mark are wanting in the 15. So they took the money
tuo oldest MSS., the Vatican
and Sinaitic.-Alford.) and did as they were taught. Lond : Encyc: 1829. "Mark." And this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
16. | Then the eleven dig. ciples went away into Galilee, see M. XXV1,32; XXVIII. 10. into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17. And when they saw him they worshipped him. See Mk. XVI, 11, 13. L. XXIV., 38. P. 181.
J. XX., 25, 27. But some doubted.
18. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and earth.
11. And they, when they 11. And their words seemed Continued P. 182. had heard that he was alive to them as idle tales, and they and had been seen of her, believed them not.
3. Peter therefore went forth believed not.
12. Then arose Peter, and and that other disciple, and ran unto the sepulchre : came to the sepulchre.
4. So they ran both together ; and the other disciple did
outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
ST. MATTHEW, XXVIII.
ST. MARK, XVI.
ST. JOHN, XX,
looking in, saw the linen clothes and stooping down he beheld lying ; yet went he not in. the linen clothes laid by them. 6. Then cometh Simon Peter, selves,
following him, and went into the and departed, wondering: in sepulchre ; and seeth the linen himself at that which was come clothes lie,
7. And the napkin that was M. XXVII. 5. about his head, not lying with the M. XXI. 5.
linen clothes, but wrapped toL, XX IV. 4
gether in a place by itself.
8. Then went in also that other disciple which came first to the sepulchre. And he saw ; and believed.
9. For as yet they knew not M. XXVII. 63. XXVIII. 7.
the scripture that he must rise again from the dead.
10. Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
11. | But Mary stood without at the sepulchre, weeping. And as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre :
12. And seeth two angels in M. XXVIII. 5. white, sitting the one at the head,
Mk. XVI. 5.
and the other at the feet, where
13. And they say unto her, Woman, Why weepest thou? She
saith unto them, Because they have M. XXVIII, 6, 9. | taken away my Lord, and I know Mk. XVI. 7. } not where they have laid him.
14. And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing; and know not that it was Jesus.
15. Jesussaith unto her, Woman, Why weepest thou ? Whom seek. est thou ? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16. Jesus saith unto her, Mary! She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni ! which is to say, Master.
17. Jesus said unto her, Touch + M. XXVIII. O. me not:t for I am not yet ascended
to my Father : but go to my
brethren and say unto them, I M. XXVIII. 7, 10. ascend unto my Father and your
Father; and to my God and your God.
18. Mary Magdalene came and M. XXVIII. 8. ) told the disciples, that she had L. XXIV. 9, 10. seen the Lord, and that he had
spoken these things unto her, 12. 1 After that, hoappeared, 13. | And, behold, two of in another form, unto two of them went that same day to a them; as they walked and went village called Emmaus, which into the country.
was from Jerusalem about three See v. 7.
14. And they talked together
St. MATTHEW, XXVIII
ST. JOHN, XX.
ST. MARK, XVI.
ST. LUKE, XXIV.
15. And it came to pass that
16. But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
17. And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these, that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
18. And the one of them whose
said unto him, Art thou only a
19. And he said unto them,
20. And how the chief Priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
21. But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel. And beside all this, to-day is the third day since these things were done.
22. Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre :
23. And when they found not
his body, they came, saying that
angels ; which said, That he was
24. And certain of them which
women had said. But him they * N. XXVIII. 10, saw not.t
25. Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
26. Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27. And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them, in all the scriptures, the things concerning himself.
28. And they drew nigh unto the village whither they went. And he made as though he would have gone further.
29. But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us : for it is toward evening, and the day is far
ST. MATT., XXVIII. ST. MARK, XVI.
ST. LUKE, XXIV.
ST. JOHN, XX.
30. And it came to pass as he sat
31. And their eyes were opened; and they knew him: and he vanished out of their sight.
32. And they said one to another. Did not our heart burn within us while he talked with us, by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures ?
33. And they rose up, the same
hour, and returned to Jerusalem : See M. XXVIII, 16. and found the eleven gathered to
gether, and them that were with
34. Saying, the Lord is risen
was known of them in breaking of
36. | And as they spake, Jesus 19. I Then the same day at * See Mk. XVI. 7. 14. Afterwards* he appeared himself stood in the midst of them; evening, being the first day of the anto the eleven, as they sat at and saith unto them, Peace be unto week, when the doors were shut you.
where the disciples were assem. 37. But they were terrified and bled; for fear of the Jews ; carne affrighted, and supposed that they Jesus, and stood in the midst; had seen a spirit.
and saith unto them, Peace be
38. And he said unto them, Why unto you. and upbraided them with their are ye troubled? And why do * J. XX. 20. unbelief* and hardness of heart; thoughts arise in your hearts ? (1) 20. And when he had so said,
because they believed not them 39. Behold my hands and my feet, he shewed unto them his hands M. XXVIII. 10.
which had seent him after he was that it is_ I myself! Handle me, and his side. Then were the disrisen.
and see : For a spirit hath not flesh ciples glad, when they saw the and bones, as ye see me have. Lord.
40. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41. And while they get believed not for joy, and wondered ; he
said unto them, Have ye here any J. XXI. 13. meat ?t
42. And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish and of an honeycomb.
43. And he took it, and did eat
These are the words which I spake
45. Then opened he their under.
46. And said unto them, Thus it is written ; and thus it behoved Christ to suffer; and to rise from the dead the third day.
21. Then said Jesus to them
(1) M. XXVIII. 17; MK, XVI. 14;
St. MATTHEW, XXVIJI. ST. MARK, XVI.
ST. LUKE, XXIV.
ST. JOHN, XX.
47. And that repentance (1) again, Peace be unto you. As 19. [Go ye therefore and 15. And he said unto them, and remission of sins should be my Father hath sent me, even teach all nations :
Go ye into all the world, and preached in his name among all so send I you.
48. And ye are witnesses of
22. And when he had said
49. | And hehold I send the this, he breathed on them; and baptizing them in the name of 16. He that believeth and is promise of my Father upon you. saith unto them, Receive yo the the Father, and of the Son, and baptized shall be saved :
Holy Ghost : of the Holy Ghost. (1)
23. Whose 80ever sins ye but he that believeth not shall
remit, they are remitted unto be damned.
them; and whose soever sins yo
retain, they are retained. (1) But tarry ye in the city of Jeru. salem, until ye be endued with
power from on high. 20. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.
17. And these signs shall follow them that believe. In my name shall they cast out
devils : they shall speak with
new tongues :
18. They shall take up sor.
50. And he led them out as
he blessed them, he was parted
into heaven, and sat on the And lo, I am with you alway;
right hand of God. unto the end of the world (2). Amen.
20. And they went forth and 52. And they worshipped
preached everywhere; the Lord him: and returned to Jerusalem
firming the word with signs 53. And were continually in
the temple, praising and bless.
ing God. Amen.