« ElőzőTovább »
St. MATTHEW, XXVII.
St. MARK, XV.
ST. LUKE, XXIII.
ST. JOHN, XIX. written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
21. Then said the chief Priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not the King of the Jews': but that he said, I am the King of the Jews.
22. Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.
23. | Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part: and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.
24. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be. That the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture did they cast lots.
These things therefore the soldiers did.
M. XXVII. 35.
38. Then there were two 27. And with him they cru. thieves crucified with him; one cify two thieves ; the one on
See L, XXIII. 33 ; J. XIX. 18. on the right hand, and another his right hand and the other on on the left.
28. [And the scripture was
heads, 40. And saying, Thou that and saying, Ah, thou that destrogest the temple, and destroyest the Temple, and buildest it in three days, save buildest it in three days, thyself. If thou be the Son of 30. Save thyself, and come God, come down from the cross. down from the cross.
41. Likewise also the chief 31. Likewise also the chief Priests mocking him, with the Priests, mocking, said, among scribes and Elders, said, themselves, with the scribes,
42. He saved others; himself He saved others ; himself he } See L. XXIII. 85. 37. P. 172. he cannot save.
cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, 32. Let Christ the King of Let him now come down from Israel the cross, and we will believe descend nowfrom the cross, that him.
we may see and believe, 43. He trusted in God ; let him deliver him now, if he will
39. And one of the malehave him : For he said, I am
factors which were hanged
railed the son of God.
on him, saying, If thou be Christ, 44. The thieves also, which And they that were crucified save thyself and us. were crucified with him, cast the with him reviled him.
40. But the other, answering, same in his teeth.
rebuked him, saying, Dost not
41. And we indeed justly:
42. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily, I say unto thee, Today* shalt thou be with me in Paradise,
M. XII. 40.
St. MATTHEW, XXVII. ST. MARK, XV.
ST. LUKE, XXIII.
St. JOHN, XIX. 25. | Now there stood, by
the cross of Jesus, his mother, * M. XXVII, 66 Mk. XV. 40; the wife of Cleophas,* and Mary
and his mother's sister, Mary Magdalene.
26. When Jesus therefore gaw his mother and the disciples standing, by, whom he loved, the said unto his mother, Woman, behold thy Son !
27. Then saith he to the dis. ciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple
took her unto his own home. 45. Now, from the sixth hour, 33. And when the sixth 44. And it was about the hour was come, there was sixth hour,t
See J. XIX. 14. there was darkness over all the darkness over the whole (land] and there was darkness over all [land,) unto the ninth hour. until the ninth hour,
the earth until the ninth hour,
45. And thesun was darkened, (" earth."-Alford.)
(" earth."-Alford.) and the veil of the temple was
rent in the midst. 46. And about the ninth hour 34. And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabac. saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabacthani?
thani ? that is to say, my God, my God, which is, being interpreted, my why hast thou forsaken me? God, my God, why hast thou
forsaken me? 47. Some of them that stood 35. And some of them that there when they heard that, said, stood by when they heard it, This man calleth for (Elias. ] said, Behold ho calleth [Elias. ]
28. | After this, Jesus, know
ing that all things were now [" Elijah."-Alford.] [" Elijah."- Alford.)
accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I
thirst. 48. And straightway one of 36. And one ran and filled a
29. Now there was set a them ran and took a sponge, and sponge full of vinegar, and put it
vessel full of vinegar : and they filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to
filled a sponge with vinegar and on a reed, and gave him to drink. drink,
put it upon hyssop, and put it 49. The rest said, Let be, let saying, Let alone : let us see
to his mouth. us see whether Elias will come whether Elias will come to take
30. When Jesus therefore to save him. him down.
had received the vinegar, he 50. Jesus, when he had 37. And Jesus cried with a 46. And when Jesus had said, It is finished: cried again with a loud voice, loud voice,
cried with a loud voice,
and he bowed his head and gave yielded up the ghost. and gave up the ghost. He gave up the ghost.
ap the ghost. 51. And behold the veil of 31. And the veil of the the temple was rent in twain temple was rent in twain from See v. 46. from the top to the bottom : the top to the bottom. and the earth did quake ; and the rooks rent:
52. And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints, which slept, arose,
53. And came out of the graves, after his resurrection ; and went into the holy city; and appeared unto many:
54. Now when the Centurion, 39. | And when the Cen- 47. Now when the Centurion and they that were with him, turion, which stood over against saw what was done, he glorified watching Jesus, saw the earth. him, saw that he so cried out, quake, and those things that and gave up the ghost, he said, were done, they feared greatly, saying,
Mk. XV. 25, P. 172.
ST. MATTHEW, XXVII.
ST. MARK, XV.
ST. JOHN, XIX.
" This man was innocent." -A. Truly this was the Son of God. Truly this man was the Son of God, saying, Certainly this was God.
a righteous man.
48. And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things that were done, smote their breasts, and
returned, 55. And many women were
40. There were also women there beholding afar off, which looking on afar off :
49. And all his acquaintance followed Jesus from Galilee, among whom was Mary Mag. and the women that followed ministering unto him.
daleno, and Mary the mother of him from Galilee stood afar off, 56. Among which was Mary James the less, and of Joses, beholding these things. Magdalene, and Mary, the and Salome : mother of James and Joses, 41. (Who also, when he was and the mother of Zebedee's in Galilee followed him and children. * ministered unto him,) and many
31. The Jews therefore, be* J. XIX. 25, P. 174. other women which came up
cause it was the preparation, M. XIII. 65. with him unto Jerusalem.
that the bodies should not re57. When the even was come, 42. And now, when the even
main upon the cross on the was come, because it was the
sabbath day, (for that sabbath preparation ; that is, the day
day was an high day) besought before the sabbath :
Pilate that their legs might be
broken, and that they might be * N. XXVII. 62
32. Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was cru. cified with him.
33. But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not
34. But one of the soldiers, with a spear, pierced his side; and forthwith came thereout blood and water.
35. And he that saw it, bare record : and his record is true : and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
36. For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled ; a bone of him shall not be broken.
37. And again another scripture saith ; They shall look on him whom they
pierced there came a rich man of Ari. 43. Joseph of Arimathea, an 50. And behold there was a 38. | And after this, Joseph mathea, named Joseph, honorable counsellor, which man named Joseph ; a counselof Arimathea,
lor: and he was a good man, and
a just :
sented to the counsel and deed
being a disciple who also himself waited for the of Jesue, but secretly for fear kingdom of God.
of the Jews, 58. He went to Pilate, came and, went in boldly unto 52. This man wentunto Pilate, besought Pilate that he might and begged the body of Jesus. Pilate, and craved the body of and begged the body of Jesus. take away the body of Jesus : Jesus.
and Pilate gave him leave. Then Pilate commanded the 44. And Pilate marvelled if body to be delivered.
he were already dead ; and .
ST. MATTHEW, XXVII.
St. MARK, XV.
ST. JOHN, XIX.
45. And, when he knew it of the Centurion, he gave the body
to Joseph. 59. And when Joseph had 46. And he bought fine linen,
He came, therefore, and took taken the body, and took him down,
the body of Jesus.
came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. (1)
40. Then took they the body he wrapped it in a clean linen
of Jesus, and wound it in linen cloth, and wrapped him in the linen, and wrapped it in linen.
41. Now in the place where he was buried there was a garden : and in the garden a
new sepulchre, 60. And laid it in his own and laid him in a sepulchre and laid it in a sepulchre that wherein never man was yet laid. new tomb, which he had hewn which was hewn out of a rock, was hewn in stone, wherein 42. There laid they Jesus out in the rock :
never man before was laid,
therefore, 54. And that day was the because of the Jews' preparation preparation, and the sabbath day; drew on.
for the sepulchre was nigh at and he rolled a great stone to and rolled a stone unto the door
hand. the door of the sepulchre ; and of the sepulchre. departed.
55. And the women* also M. XXVII, 55, 56. 61. And there was Mary 47. And Mary Magdalene and which came with him from Magdalene, and the other Mary Mary the mother of Jesus beheld Galilee followed after, and be. sitting over against the sepul. where he was laid.
held the sepulchre: and how chre.
his body was laid.
56. And theyt returned and I J. XIX. 39.
63. Saying, Sir, We remember that that deceiver said while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
64. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure, until the third day; lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away; and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead. So the last error shall be worse than the first.
65. Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch : Go your way : make it as sure as ye can.
66. So they went, and made the sepulchre sure : sealing the stone : and setting a watch.]
St. MATTHEW, XXVIII, St. MARK, XVI.
St. LUKE, XXIV.
St. JOHN, XX, 1. In the end of the sabbath, 1. And when the sabbath 1. Now upon the first day of 1. The first day of the week, was past, Mary Magdalene and the week,
cometh Mary Magdalene Mary the mother of James and Salome had brought sweet spices, that they might come
and anoint him. as it began to dawn toward the 2. And, very early in the morn. very early in the morning, early, when it was yet dark, first day of the week, came ing, the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other they* came unto the sepulchre, they cameunto the sepulchre, unto the sepulchre; Mary to see the sepulchre *
* Mk. XV. 47; XVI. 1.
* L. XXIII. 55. P. 176. (M. XXVII. 61.
bringing the spices which they Mk. XV. 47.
at the rising of the sun. had prepared :
and certain others with them.
of the sepulchre ? (2)
3. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow :
4. And for fear of him the keepers* did shake; and became as dead men. * M. XXVII. 65.
4. And when they looked they 2. And they found the stone and seeth the stone taken away saw that the stone was rolled rolled away from the sepulchre. from the sepulchre. (2) away: for it was very great.
5. And, entering into the 3. And they entered in ;
and found not the body of the
4. And it came to pass as
on the right side, clothed in à in shining garments.
and bowed down their faces, to
the earth, and said unto the women : 6. And he saith unto them, they said unto them ; Fear not ye : for I know that Be not affrighted.: ye seek Why seek ye the living among ye seek Jesus which was cruci. Jesus of Nazareth, which was the dead ? fied.
you, when he was yet in
7. Saying, the Son of man
8. And they remembered his 7. And go quickly, and tell 7. But go your way, tell his words. his disciples that he is risen disciples, and Peter, from the dead; and behold He goeth before you into Galilee. (1) that he goeth before you into There shall ye see him, Lo, i Galilee : there shall ye see have told you.
him : as he said unto you (1) (1) M. XXVII. 32; XXVIII. 10, 16, (1) M. XXVI. 32; Mk. XIV. 28. (1) M. XX. 17, 18, 19. 17, 18.
(2) L. XVIII. 33. P. 118.