« ElőzőTovább »
St. MATTHEW, XXVI.
ST. MARK, XIV.
ST. JOHN, XVIII, the spirit indeed is willing but the spirit truly is ready but the the flesh is weak.
flesh is weak. 42. He went away again the 39. And again he went away, second time, and
and prayed, saying, O my Father, If this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
and spake the same words.
their eyes were heavy)
45. Then cometh he to his dis. 41. And he cometh a third ciples, and said unto them, Sleep time, and said unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest : Be. on now, and take your rest. It hold the hour is at hand, and the is enough: the hour is come : Son of man is betrayed into the behold, the Son of man is behands of sinners.
trayed into the hands of sin. 46. Rise : let us be going : be. 42. Rise up : let us go : lo, he hold, he is at hand that doth that betrayeth me is at hand. betray me.
2. And Judas also, which be. trayed him, knew the place : for Jesus also ofttimes resorted
thither with his disciples. 47. | And while he yet spake, 43. And immediately, while 47. | And while he 3. Judas then, having received lo, Judas, one of the twelve came; he yet spake, cometb Judas, one got spake, behold a band of men, and officers of the and with him a great multitude, of the twelve, and with him a à multitude, and he that chief priests and Pharisees, with swords and staves, from the great multitude, with swords and was called Judas, one of cometh thither with lanterns, and chief Priests and Elders of the staves, from the chief Priests and the twelve,
torches and weapons. people.
the scribes and the Elderg. 48. Now he that betrayed him 44. And he that betrayed him, gave them a sign, saying, Whomand given them a token, saying, soever I shall kiss, that same is he: Whomsoever I shall kiss, that hold him fast.
same is he, take him and lead
him away safely. 49. And forthwith he came to 45. And as soon as he was
4. Jesus therefore, knowing all Jesus and said, Hail, master ! come, he goeth straightway to
things that should come upon him, and kissed him
him, and saith, Master, Master, went before them, and went forth and said unto them,
drew near unto Jesus to said unto them,
Whom seek ye?
5. They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also which betrayed him, stood with them.
6. As soon then as he had said
unto them, I am he, they went
48. But Jesus said backward, and fell to the ground. 80. And Jesus said unto him,
unto him, Judas, betray- 7. Then asked he them again, Friend, wherefore art thou come?
est thou the Son of man Whom seek ye? and they said, with a kiss ?
Jesus of Nazareth.
8. Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: If therefore ye seek me, let these go their way.
9. That the saying might be
fulfilled, which he spake: Of them Then came they and laid hands 46. | And they laid their
which thou gavest me have I lost on Jesus, and took him,
hands on bim, and took him,
St. MATTHEW, XXVI. Sr. MARK, XIV.
St. LUKE, XXII.
ST. JOHN, XVIII. 49. When they which were about him saw what would fol. low, they said unto him, Lord,
shall smite with the 51. And behold, one of them 47. And one of them that sword ? (1)
10. Then, Simon Peter, hav. which with Jesus, stood by
50. [And one of them smote ing a sword, drew it, stretched out his hand, and drew his sword ; and struck a drew a sword, and smote a
and smote the high Priest's servant of the high priest's ; servant of the high priest, and the servant of the high Priest, servant, and smote off his ear. cut off his ear. and cut off his right ear. and cut off his right ear. The
servant's name was Malchus. 52. Then said Jesus unto him,
11. Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up again thy sword into
Put up thy sword into the his place, for all they that take
sheath. the sword shall perish with the
The cup which my Father hath sword,
given me, shall I not drink it ? 51. And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And
he touched his ear, and healed 53. Thinkest thou that I
him. cannot now pray to my Father, and he sball presently give me more than twelve legions of angels ?
54. And how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be ?
55. In that same hour said 48. And Jesus answered and 52. Then Jesus said unto the Jesus to the multitudes, said unto them,
chief Priests and Captains of
which were come to him,
staves to take me ? I sat daily with you, teaching 49. I was daily with you in 53. When I was daily with in the temple; and ye laid no the temple, teaching, and ye you in the temple, ye stretched hold on me. took me not ;
forth no hands against me. But 56. But all this was done But the scriptures must be this is your hour and the power that the scriptures of the fulfilled.
of darkness. prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook 50. And they all forsook him, and fled.
him and fled,
51. And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body: and the young men laid
12. Then the band and the hold on him :
Captain and officers of the Jews 52. And he left the linen
took Jesus cloth; and fled from them
and bound him, naked.
13. And led him away to 57. | And they that had 53. And they led Jesus away 54. Then took they him, and Annas first : for he was father laid hold on Jesus, led him away
in law to Caiaphas, which was to Caiaphas, the high priest, (1) to the high priest. And with and brought him into the high the high Priest that same where the scribes and the
Priest's house :
year. (1) elders were assembled. him were assempled all the
14. Now Caiaphas was he chief prieste, and the elders,
which gave counsel to the Jews and the scribes.
that it was expedient that one
man should die for the people. 58. But Peter followed him 54. And Peter followed him and Peter followed afar off. 15. [ And Simon Peter fol. afar off
lowed Jesus, and so did another disciple. That disciple was known unto the high Priest; and
went in with Jesus, into the unto the high priest's palace, even into the palace of the
palace of the high Priest.
(1) L. III 2, P. 13.
(1) L. XXII, 38, P. 162.
(1) L. III. 2, P. 13.
St. MATTHEW, XXVI.
St. MARK, XIV.
ST. JOHN, XVIII.
and spake unto her that kept 55. And when they had the door. kindled a fire in the midst of
the hall, and went in, and high Priest, and he sat with the and were set down together, sat with the servants to see the servants and warmed himself Peter sat down among them. end. at the fire.
Continued P. 166. and brought in Peter. 59. Now the chief Priests and 55. And the chief Priests
Continued P. 166. Elders and all thecouncil sought and all the council sought for false witness against Jesus to witness against Jesus, to put put him to death.
him to death, 60. But found none : yea, and found none. though many false witnesses
56. For many bare false witcame yet found they none. ness against him, but their wit. At the last came two false wit- ness agreed not together. nesses,
57. And there arose certain, 61. And said, This fellow said, and bare false witness against
is made with hands; and with.
59. But neither so did their
From P. 166. 62. And the high Priest arose; 60. And the bigh Priest stood
66. [ And as soon as it was and said unto him, Answerest up in the midst, and asked day, the Elders of the people
From P. 166. thou
Jesus, saying, Answerest thou and the chief Priests and the 19. The high Priest then nothing? What is it which these nothing ? What is it which scribes came together; and led asked Jesus of his disciples, witness against thee?
these witness against thee ? him into their council, saying, and of his doctrine. 63. But Jesus held his peace. 61. But he held his peace,
20. Jesus answered him, I And the high Priest answered, and answered nothing. Again
spake openly to the world': I and said unto him, the high Priest asked him, and
ever taught in the synagogue, I adjure thee by the living God said unto him,
and in the temple, whither the that thou tell us, whether thou Art thou the Christ, the Son of 67. Art thou the Christ? tell Jews always resort ; and in be the Christ the Son of God. the Blessed ?
And he said unto them, If secret have I said nothing. 64. Jesus saith unto him, 62. And Jesus said,
I tell you, ye will not believe. 21. Why askest thou me? Thou hast said :
68. And if I shall ask you, Ask them which heard me, nevertheless I say unto you,
ye will not answer me ; (nor let what I have said unto them. Hereafter shall ye see the Son And ye shall see the Son of man me go. ) (1)
Behold, they know what I said. of man sitting on the right hand sitting on the right hand of 69. Hereafter shall the Son 22. And when he had thus of power, and coming in the power, and coming in the clouds of man sit on the right hand of spoken, one of the officers clouds of heaven, of heaven.
which stood by, struck Jesus
with the palm of his hand, 70. Then said they all, Art saying, Answerest thou the high Mk. XIV. 62. thou then the Son of God ? Priest so?
And he said unto them, Ye
say that I am. 65. Then the high Priest rent 63. Then the high Priest rent
23. Jesus answered him, If I his clothes, saying, He hath his clothes, and saith,
71. And they said, What have spoken evil, bear witness spoken blasphemy;
need we any further witness ? of the evil : but if well, why What further need have we What need we any further For we ourselves have heard of smitest thou me? of witnesses ? witnesses ? his own mouth.
Continued P. 166. Behold, now ye have heard his 64. Ye have heard the blag. blasphemy :
phemy : 66. What think
What think ye?
From P. 166.
smote him. of their hands.
(1) ["Nor let me go" omitted in sev-
ST. JOHN, XVIII.
St. MATTHEW, XXVI. St. MARK, XIV.
Sr. LUKE, XXII.
him on the face, and asked
65. And many other things, blasphemously spake they against him.
Continued P. 165.
From P. 165.
17. Then saith the damsel that kept the door anto Peter,
Chap. XXII., from P. 165.
cometh one of the maids of the
as he sat by the fire,
and earnestly looked warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, Thou also wast with Jesus of upon him and said, And thou This man was also with him. Galilee. also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.
57. And he denied him 70. But he denied before 68. But he denied, saying, I saying, them all, saying, I know not know not, neither understand Woman, I know him not. what thou sayest.
I what thou sayest.
Art not thou also one of this man's disciples ?
He saith, I am not.
18. And the servants and officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold : and they warmed themselves : and Peter stood with them, and warmed him. self.
Continued P. 165. 24. Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.
25. And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself.
71. And when he was gone And he went out into the out into the porch, porch;
They said therefore to him, and the cock crew.
58. And after a little while, another maid saw him, and 69. And a maid saw him another saw him, and said, Art not thou also one of his said unto them that were there, again; and began to say to
disciples ? This fellow was also with Jesus them that stood by,
Thou art also of them. of Nazareth. This is one of them.
And Peter said, Man, I am not. He denied it, and said, I am not 72. And again he denied, 70. And he denied it again. with an oatb, I do not know
26. One of the servants of the man.
59. And about the space of the high priest, being his kins73. And after awhile came And a little after, they that one hour after another confi. man whose ear Peter cut off, unto him they that stood by, stood by said again to Peter, dently affirmed, saying, Of a saith, Did not and said to Peter, Surely, thou Surely thou art one of them : truth this fellow also was with I see thee in the garden with also art one of them ; for thy for thou art a Galilean, and thy him;
him ? speech betrayeth thee. speech agreeth thereto.
for he is a Galilean.
60. And Peter said, Man, I 27. Peter then denied again, 74. Then began he to curse 71. But he began to curse know not what thou sayest. and to swear, saying, I know and to swear, saying, I know not the man.
not this man of whom ye speak. And immediately, while he yet And immediately the cock crew. And immediately the cock crew. 72. And the second time the spake, the cock crew. cock crew.
61. And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter ;
And Peter remembered the 75. And Peter remembered And Peter called to mind the word of the Lord, how he had the word of Jesus, which said word that Jesus said unto him, said urto him, Before the cock unto him, Before the cock crow, Before the cock crow twice crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. thou shalt deny me thrice. thou shalt deny me thrice.
62, And Peter went out and And he went out, and wept And when he thought thereon wept bitterly. bitterly.
Continued P. 165.
ST. JOHN, XVIII.
28. Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment. And it was early. And they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled : but that they might eat the passover.
ST. MATTHEW, XXVII.
ST. MARK, XV.
ST. LUKE, XXIII.
CHAP. XXIII. 1. When the morning was 1. And straightway in the 1. And the whole multicome, all the chief Priests and morning the chief Priests held tude of them arose, Elders of the people took counsel a consultation with the El. against Jesus,
ders and scribes, and the
whole council. to put him to death.
2. And when they had bound And bound Jesus, and carried him, they led him away, and him delivered him to Pontius Pilate away, the Governor.
and delivered him to Pilate. and led him unto Pilate. 3. [ Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented him.
and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief Priests and Elders,
4. Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? See thou to that.
5. And he cast down the thirty pieces of silver in the temple, and departed. And went and hanged See Acts 1. 18. himself.
6. And the chief Priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
7. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.
8. Wherefore that field was called, the field of blood, unto this day.
9. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the
Zach, XI, 12, 18. Prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued ; whom they of the children of Israel did value ;
10. And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.
11. And Jesus stood before the Govornor.
2. And they began to accuse him, saying,
29. Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?
30. They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.
We found this fellow pervert.
31. Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him and judge him accord ing to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death.
32. That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.