Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acid action alcohol apparatus appears applied arrangement attached battery becomes bell body boiling bottom building called carried centre colour columns common complete connected consists construction containing continued copper covered direction distilled draining edge effect elasticity electricity emery employed enamel engine equal Exhibition feet fixed force frame give given glass ground hand heat holes important inches increased iron kind lead length less light liquid London lower machine manufacture material means metal method motion moved nature necessary objects obtained operation passing piece pipe placed plate portion position prepared present pressure printed produced quantity raised removed separate shown side silk silver solution spirit steel stone substance sufficient supply surface temperature tube turn upper vapour various vessel wash weight wheel whole wire
476. oldal - ... and hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed and the bounds of their habitation ; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he be not far from every one of us.
417. oldal - ... that no sooner is a discovery or invention made than it is already improved upon and surpassed by competing efforts. The products of all quarters of the globe are placed at our disposal, and we have only to choose which is the best and the cheapest for our purposes, and the powers of production are intrusted to the stimulus of competition and capital.
445. oldal - And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither : so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.
417. oldal - I confidently hope that the first impression which the view of this vast collection will produce upon the spectator will be that of deep thankfulness to the Almighty for the blessings which he has bestowed upon us already here below...
417. oldal - I conceive it to be the duty of every educated person closely to watch and study the time in which he lives, and, as far as in him lies, to add his humble mite of individual exertion to further the accomplishment of what he believes Providence to have ordained.
417. oldal - Gentlemen, — THE EXHIBITION of 1851 is to give us a true test and a living picture of the point of development at which the whole of mankind has arrived in this great task, and a new starting point from which all nations will be able to direct their further exertions.
514. oldal - For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out, where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs : but the land, whither ye go to possess it, is a land of hills and valleys, and drinketh water of the rain of heaven...
417. oldal - Nobody, however, who has paid any attention to the peculiar features of our present era, will doubt for a moment that we are living at a period of most wonderful transition, which tends rapidly to accomplish that great end to which, indeed, all history points, the realization of the Unity of Mankind!
417. oldal - ... of those very national varieties and antagonistic qualities. The distances which separated the different nations and parts of the globe are gradually vanishing before the achievements of modern invention, and we can traverse them with incredible ease ; the languages of all nations are known, and their acquirements placed within the reach of everybody ; thought is communicated with the rapidity and even by the power of lightning.