A Manual of Ancient History: Containing the Political History, Geographical Position, and Social State of the Principal Nations of Antiquity ...
[D.] Appleton [& Company, etc., etc.,], 1846 - 358 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advantage Alexander ancient appears army Asia Assyria Athenians Athens attacked attempt authority battle became body brother brought called Carthage Carthaginians cause celebrated character chief civil coast colonies command commenced complete conduct conquest continued danger death defeated destroyed east Egypt Egyptian emperor empire enemies engaged entered erected established fate followed forced formed gained Gaul gave greater Grecian Greece Greek hand hundred important inhabitants invaded island Italy Jews king kingdom land language length marched monarch murdered natural northern obtained original passed peace Persian person possession prepared prince principal probably provinces punished raised received reign remarkable restored revolt rival river Romans Rome secure senate sent Sicily soldiers soon Spartans subdued subjects succeeded success successor Syrian taken temple thousand throne tion took trade treated tribes victory wars western
177. oldal - Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
179. oldal - Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, and cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, las he was] calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
180. oldal - And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
40. oldal - So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets. And it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
179. oldal - And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake.
56. oldal - And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand : and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.
177. oldal - And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way. 13 AND when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word : for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
42. oldal - And Samuel said to all the people, See ye him whom the LORD hath chosen, that there is none like him among all the people? And all the people shouted, and said, God save the king.
40. oldal - Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies.