Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action adaptation adjusted Alexander Dyce animals appear arrangements astronomical atmosphere bodies Chapter character climate comet conceive condition connexion consequence consider constitution contrivance course creation Creator deductive reasoning degree depend discovery distance Divine earth effects elements endeavoured existence fact faculties final causes fluid force friction globe gravity heat human impression intelligence John Mitford JOSEPH RITSON Jupiter kind knowledge Laplace laws of motion laws of nature light luminiferous ether magnitude manner mass material world mathematical matter means mechanical mechanical philosophy mind mode moisture moral natural philosophy Natural Theology Nebular Hypothesis Newton objects observe operation orbit organic particles peculiar period perpetually phenomena philosophers physical planets portion present principles produce properties purpose quantity reason relations result revolve round the sun solar system stars steam suppose surface temperature tendency things tion trace truths universe vapour vegetable velocity vibrations vols WILLIAM PICKERING WILLIAM WHEWELL
362. oldal - Warms in the sun, refreshes in the breeze, Glows in the stars, and blossoms in the trees ; Lives through all life, extends through all extent, Spreads undivided, operates unspent...
108. oldal - Eternal anarchy, amidst the noise Of endless wars, and by confusion stand. For Hot, Cold, Moist and Dry, four champions fierce, Strive here for mastery...
361. oldal - ... suscipit Anchises atque ordine singula pandit. 'principio caelum ac terras camposque liquentes lucentemque globum Lunae Titaniaque astra Spiritus intus alit, totamque infusa per artus mens agitat molem, et magno se corpore miscet.
149. oldal - These planets are all nearly globular, and all revolve upon their axis. Some of them are accompanied by satellites, or attendant bodies which revolve about them; and these bodies also have their orbits nearly .circular, and nearly in the same plane as the others. Saturn's ring is a solitary example, so far as we know, of such an appendage to a planet. These circular motions of the planets round the sun, and of the satellites round their primary planets, are all kept going by the attraction of the...
ix. oldal - Pounds sterling ; this sum, with the accruing dividends thereon, to be held at the disposal of the President, for the time being, of the Royal Society of London, to be paid to the person or persons nominated by him. The Testator...
161. oldal - ... then diminish. The periods which this restoration requires are, for the most part, enormous ; not less than thousands, and, in some instances, millions of years ; and hence it is, that some of these apparent derangements have been going on in the same direction since the beginning of the history of the world. But the restoration is in the sequel as complete as the derangement; and in the meantime the disturbance never attains a sufficient amount seriously to alter the adaptations of the system.*...
360. oldal - Insects, can be the effect of nothing else than the Wisdom and Skill of a powerful ever-living Agent, who being in all Places, is more able by his Will to move the Bodies within his boundless uniform Sensorium, and thereby to form and reform the Parts of the Universe, than we are by our Will to move the Parts of our own Bodies.
376. oldal - God, or melior natura; which courage is manifestly such as that creature, without that confidence of a better nature than his own, could never attain. So man, when he resteth and assureth himself upon divine protection and favour, gathereth a force and faith which human nature in itself could not obtain.