Encyclopædia Americana: A Popular Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature, History, Politics, and Biography, Brought Down to the Present Time; Including a Copious Collection of Original Articles in American Biography; on the Basis of the Seventh Edition of the German Conversations-lexicon, 3. kötet
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according afterwards ancient appeared appointed army authority became become body born called carried cause celebrated character Charles Christian church civil colonies color common congress considerable considered consists constitution contains continued court death died distinguished duke East elected emperor England English entered established Europe exports feet force France French gave German give given Greek hands head important island Italy kind king land language latter lived March means ment miles nature obliged obtained original Paris particularly party passed peace period persons political pope possession present prince principal produced published received relations remained respect river Roman Rome senate sent side soon Spain taken tion took town trade vols whole
218. oldal - With a more riotous appetite. Down from the waist they are centaurs, Though women all above: But to the girdle do the gods inherit, Beneath is all the fiends; there's hell, there's darkness, there is the sulphurous pit, burning, scalding, stench, consumption; — Fie, fie, fie! pah; pah! Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination: there's money for the'e.
2. oldal - In conformity to the act of the Congress of the United States, entitled, « An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of maps, charts, and books, to the authors and proprietors of such copies, during the times therein mentioned.
151. oldal - For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth ; Likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength. He sealeth up the hand of every man ; That all men may know his work.
141. oldal - CHIMERA; a fabulous monster, breathing flames, with the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a dragon, which laid waste the fields of Lycia, and was at last destroyed by Bellerophon.
394. oldal - This unwritten, or common law, is properly distinguishable into three kinds: 1. General customs; which are the universal rule of the whole kingdom, and form the common law, in its stricter and more usual signification. 2. Particular customs; which for the most part affect only the inhabitants of particular districts. 3. Certain particular laws ; which by custom are adopted and used by some particular courts, of pretty general and extensive jurisdiction.
328. oldal - The object, to which its attention is to be exclusively directed, is to promote and execute a plan for colonizing (with their consent) the free people of color residing in our country in Africa, or such other place as Congress shall deem most expedient.
390. oldal - And this is a politic establishment, contrived by the policy of the law, for the safety of all persons, the necessity of whose affairs oblige them to trust these sorts of persons, that they may be safe in their ways of dealing; for else these carriers might have an opportunity of undoing all persons that had any dealings with them, by combining with thieves, &c., and yet doing it in such a clandestine manner as would not be possible to be discovered. And this is the reason the law is founded upon...
500. oldal - British islands were declared to be in a state of blockade" thereby subjecting to capture and condemnation all vessels, with their cargoes, which should continue to trade with...
442. oldal - The Code of 1650, being a Compilation of the earliest Laws and Orders of the General Court of Connecticut ; also the Constitution, or Civil Compact entered into and adopted by the Towns of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield, in 1638—9...