Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according acid adapted agents alimentary canal animals appear argument arrangements assume atmosphere become blood bodies carbon cause changes character chemical circumstances climates clouds colour combination common composed composition compounds consequently considered constitute contain course depend diffusion direction distribution earth effects electricity elements equal equator evidently exist fact fluid force further gaseous globe greater heat heat and light Hence hydrogen important increase influence instance kind known land laws least less light limits living matter mean molecules motion nature nearly necessary object observed operations organized oxygen particularly perhaps phenomena plants Polar poles portion possess present principles probably produced properties proportion quantity reader reason reference reflected regions relation remarkable respect result similar solid species stomach substances sugar supposed surface temperature termed things tion usually vapour variety vegetable volume weight whole
1. oldal - Testament!,' with 90 wood-cuts beautifully engraved. Crown 8vo. half bound morocco, 1(. Is. A few copies printed entirely on India paper, 2J. 2s. THE DANCE OF DEATH, exhibited in fifty-five elegant Engravings on Wood, with a Dissertation on the several Representations of that Subject; more particularly on those attributed to MACABER and HOLBEIN, by FRANCIS DOUCE, FSA 8vo.
8. oldal - The Bridgewater Treatises on the power, wisdom and goodness of God as manifested in the Creation.
399. oldal - Let us make man in our Image, after our Likeness : and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
13. oldal - These are general laws; and when a particular purpose is to be effected, it is not by making a new law, nor by the suspension of the old ones, nor by making them wind, and bend, and yield to the occasion ; (for nature with great steadiness adheres to and supports them;) but it is, as we have seen in the eye, by the interposition of an apparatus, corresponding with these laws, and suited to the exigency which results from them, that the purpose is at length attained.
vi. oldal - ON THE POWER WISDOM AND GOODNESS OF GOD AS MANIFESTED IN THE ADAPTATION OF EXTERNAL, NATURE TO THE MORAL AND INTELLECTUAL CONSTITUTION OF MAN.
219. oldal - There is also another circumstance connected with the earth's motion in its orbit, which, as partaking of the character of a primary cause, may here be briefly noticed. The earth's orbit is not a circle, but an ellipse, of which the sun occupies one of the foci. Now, it has been so arranged, that in the middle of our winter, the earth is in that part of its orbit which is nearest to the sun. The earth, therefore, is at Christmas actually about three millions of miles nearer to the sun than at Midsummer....
22. oldal - Animalcules have been discovered, whose magnitude is such, that a million of them does not exceed the bulk of a grain of sand ; and yet each of these creatures is composed of members as curiously organized as those of the largest species ; they have life and spontaneous motion, and are endued with sense and instinct.