Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according acquired action againſt alſo angle applied arch attraction axis balance ball becomes body called caſe centre of gravity circle circular common courſe curve deſcend deſcribed determined diameter direction diſtance divided draw earth eaſily effect elaſtic equal evident experiments fall fame feet figure firſt force former given greater half hence horizontal impelled impulſe inches inclined infinitely inſtance itſelf laws length leſs lever likewiſe machine manner matter means mechanical meet minute momentum motion move multiplied muſt nature obſerved parallel particular pendulum perpendicular plane Plate pounds preceding Prop properties proportion pulley quantity of matter reader remain repreſented reſiſtance reſpect reſt round rule ſame ſecond ſhall ſide ſince ſmall ſpace ſquare ſtring ſtroke ſuch ſum ſuppoſe ſurface thing thoſe tion triangle uſe velocity vibration weight wheel whole whoſe
xvi. oldal - In experimental philosophy we are to look upon propositions collected by general induction from phenomena as accurately or very nearly true, notwithstanding any contrary hypotheses that may be imagined, till such time as other phenomena occur, by which they may either be made more accurate, or liable to exceptions.
78. oldal - The change of motion is proportional to the motive force impressed; and is made in the direction of the right line in which that force is impressed.
129. oldal - In any continued geometrical progression, the product of the two extremes is equal to the product of any two means that are equally distant from them, or equal to the square of the middle term when there is an uneven number of terms.
212. oldal - After the moving force m has been intercepted at the end of the given space or time, there will be no force operating on any part of the system...
253. oldal - But in the ufual way of practice, the axles are bent downward at their ends, which brings the fides of the wheels next the ground nearer to one another than their oppofite or higher fides are : and this not only makes the wheels to drag fidewife as they go along, and gives the load a much greater power of crushing them than when they are parallel to each other, but alfo...
207. oldal - ... as a ftandard, to which all the others are referred. This ftandard weight in the fubfequent experiments is ^ of an ounce, and is reprefented by the letter m. The inertia of the wheels being therefore = 2f ounces, will be denoted by 1 1 m.
209. oldal - ... the box A is on a level with o. The defcent of A is terminated when the bottom of the box ftrikes the ftage, which may be fixed at different diftances from the point o, fo that by altering the pofition of the ftage, the fpace defcribed from quiefcence may be of any given magnitude lefs than 64 inches.
207. oldal - ... m ; fo that when the weights A and B, each being 25 m, are balanced in the manner above reprefented, their whole mafs will be 50?^, which being added to the inertia of the wheels urn, the fum will be dim.