The Simplicity of the Creation; Or, The Astronomical Monument of the Blessed Virgin: a New Theory of the Solar System, Thunderstorms, Waterspouts, Aurora Borealis, Etc., and the Tides
Burns & Lambert, 1864 - 368 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Simplicity of the Creation: Or, the Astronomical Monument of the Blessed ...
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2017
according accumulation action animal appear astronomers atmosphere attraction axis becomes beginning body calculated carried cause centre Church clouds cold comet common consequently continue course created creation currents David Brewster direction distance doubt earth effect electricity element envelope equator evidence existence expanded fact fall fire fluid force give globe gravitation greater hand heat heaven heavenly bodies Hence higher increase influence intensity interior kind land less light living magnetic manner masses matter means metallic meteoric mind moon motion move nature negative electricity observed ocean once orbit origin oxygen passing perhaps planets pole positive positive electricity present produced progress rays reason regions resisting respective revolving rise rotation round says seems seen side solid sound space sphere stars substances surface theory tide true turned universe vapours wave whilst whole
90. oldal - THERE is in souls a sympathy with sounds ; And as the mind is pitch'd the ear is pleased With melting airs, or martial, brisk, or grave: Some chord in unison with what we hear Is touch'd within us, and the heart replies.
138. oldal - And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
188. oldal - And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word.
188. oldal - Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women. And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God. Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
98. oldal - In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
140. oldal - ... fluids; and hence it is that the bulk of the solid earth is continually increased; and the fluids, if they are not supplied from without, must be in a continual decrease, and quite fail at last. I suspect, moreover, that it is chiefly from the comets that spirit comes, which is indeed the smallest but...
11. oldal - I believe that animals have descended from at most only four or five progenitors, and plants from an equal or lesser number.
96. oldal - Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.
194. oldal - Its orbit, by a remarkable coincidence, very nearly intersects that of the earth ; and had the latter, at the time of its passage in 1832, been a month in advance of its actual place, it would have passed through the comet, — a singular rencontre, perhaps not unattended with danger.