Curiosities in Proverbs: A Collection of Unusual Adages, Maxims, Aphorisms, Phrases and Other Popular Dicta from Many Lands, Classified and Arranged with Annotations
G.P. Putman's sons, 1916 - 428 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
applied Arabian asked beauty become begin Behar Bengalese better Bible bird blind brings called camel carry Chinese Christmas comes common Danish death Dutch England English evil expression face fall father feet fire fool fortune four French Gaelic German give given hand head heart Hebrew Hindustani horse hundred indicate Italian John keep king land Latin live London look lost luck man's March marry master Matt meaning Modern Greek morning mouth nature never night once originated Osmanli Persian person phrase Prov proverb quoted rain referring replied rise Russian Sanskrit saying Scotch seek seen sometimes soon Spanish stone Tamil Telugu things thou thought tongue tree turn weather Welsh wife wind wise woman young
97. oldal - A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
110. oldal - There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
180. oldal - Tis as the general pulse Of life stood still, and Nature made a pause ; An awful pause! prophetic of her end.
123. oldal - For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that which he hath.
93. oldal - The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft a-gley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain For promis'd joy. Still thou art blest compared wi' me ! The present only toucheth thee : But, och ! I backward cast my e'e On prospects drear, An' forward, tho' I canna see, I guess an
144. oldal - Come, bring with a noise, My merry, merry boys, The Christmas log to the firing ; While my good dame, she Bids ye all be free, And drink to your hearts
102. oldal - Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
117. oldal - For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.