Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according acid acres alkali appeared applied body bottom bricks carriage carried cause circumstances clay coal combination common considerable construction containing corn covered crop Dated described direct distilled earth effect electrical employed equal examiners experiments feet five fixed floors formed four frame give grain ground half harrowed heat improvements inches increase invention iron kind land leather length less lever Malt manner manufacture material matter means metal method mode months muriatic nature necessary negative observed obtained operation pass persons piece pipes placed plants plate ploughed positive practice present principle produce proper quantity reason receive regulations respect result rollers rope saline salt secure seed separated SERIES ship side similar soil solution Specification springs strong substance sufficient surface tion tree tube vegetable vessel weight wheel whole wood
169. oldal - Now Know Ye, that in compliance with the said proviso, I, the said Adolphe Nicole, do hereby declare that the nature of my said Invention, and the manner in which the same is to be performed, are particularly described and ascertained in and by the following statement thereof, reference being had to the Drawing hereunto annexed, and to the figures and letters marked thereon...
257. oldal - It will be a general expression of the facts that have been detailed, relating to the changes and transitions by electricity, in common philosophical language, to say that hydrogen, the alkaline substances, the metals, and certain metallic oxides, are attracted by negatively electrified metallic surfaces, and repelled by positively electrified metallic surfaces; and contrariwise, that oxygen and acid substances are attracted by positively electrified metallic surfaces, and repelled by negatively...
83. oldal - To all to whom these presents shall come, &c.: — Now know ye, that in compliance with the said proviso. I, the said John Henry Cassell, do hereby declare that the nature of my invention, and the manner in which the same...
234. oldal - Provisions in lieu thereof," it was enacted, that it should and might be lawful for any court to pass upon any person who should be lawfully convicted before such court of felony, with benefit of clergy, or of any grand larceny, or of any petit larceny, the sentence of imprisonment to hard labour, either simply and alone, or in addition to any other sentence which such court might or...
172. oldal - Now know ye, that in compliance with the said proviso, I, the said John Watson, do hereby declare that the nature of my said Invention, and the manner in which the same...
189. oldal - The process was conducted for 24 hours, and at the end of this time neither of the portions of the water altered in the slightest degree the tint of litmus. It seems evident then that water, chemically pure, is decomposed by electricity into gaseous matter alone, into oxygen and hydrogen.
276. oldal - I had to a certain extent adopted this opinion," an opinion of Fabroni's ; " but the new fact immediately proved that another power must necessarily be concerned, for it was not possible to refer the electricity exhibited by the opposition of metallic surfaces to any chemical alterations, particularly as the effect is more distinct in a dry atmosphere, in which even the most oxidizable metals do not change, than in a moist one, in which many metals undergo oxidation.
188. oldal - Volatile alkali likewise seemed to be always formed in very minute portions, during the first few minutes in the purified water in the gold cones, but the limit to its quantity was soon attained. It was natural to account for both these appearances, from the combination of nascent oxygen and hydrogen respectively ; with the nitrogen of the common air dissolved in the water : and Dr. Priestley's experiments on the absorption of gases by water (on this idea) would furnish an easy explanation of the...
290. oldal - ... proceed to put in more faggots, till the kiln and its arches look white, and the fire appears at the top of the kiln; upon which they slacken the fire for an hour, and let all cool by degrees. This they continue to do, alternately heating and slacking, till the ware be thoroughly burnt, which is usually effected in forty-eight hours.
270. oldal - Allowing combination to depend upon the balance of the natural electrical energies of bodies, it is easy to conceive that a measure may be found of the artificial energies, as to intensity and quantity produced in the common electrical machine, or the Voltaic apparatus, capable of destroying this equilibrium ; and such a measure would enable us to make a scale of electrical powers corresponding .to degrees of affinity.