Bodily Changes in Pain, Hunger, Fear, and Rage: An Account of Recent Researches Into the Function of Emotional Excitement
D. Appleton, 1915 - 311 oldal
Cannon showed there is a close connection between the endocrine glands and the emotions.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action activity adre adrenal glands adrenal secretion adrenal veins adrenin alimentary canal American Journal amount of adrenin anesthesia anger animals Archiv fiir arterial pressure asphyxia autonomic average blood pressure bodily changes body Boldireff cannula cause cent centimeter of adrenin central nervous system circulation citement coagulation cranial cubic centimeter curare digestive dilation discharge disturbance effect electrodes emotional excitement evidence experiments fatigued muscle femoral femoral vein gastric juice glycosuria grams Gruber heart impulses indicated inhibition injected adrenin injection of adrenin innervations instances instinct intestinal Journal of Physiology kilo left splanchnic nerves lever liver ment milligram millimeters of mercury muscular nerve-muscle neurones observations occur organs pain period peristalsis produce psychic rapid clotting record removed shortening shown skeletal muscles smooth muscle spinal cord splanchnic nerves splanchnic stimulation Stimulation of left stomach strong emotion supply sympathetic division tion tissues tube urine vessels viscera W. B. Cannon
292. oldal - We must make new energies and hardihoods continue the manliness to which the military mind so faithfully clings. Martial virtues must be the enduring cement; intrepidity, contempt of softness, surrender of private interest, obedience to command, must still remain the rock upon which states are built...
292. oldal - The martial type of character can be bred without war. Strenuous honor and disinterestedness abound elsewhere. Priests and medical men are in a fashion educated to it, and we should all feel some degree of it imperative if we were conscious of our work as an obligatory service to the state. We should be owned, as soldiers are by the army, and our pride would rise accordingly. We could be poor, then, without humiliation, as army officers now are. The only thing needed henceforward is to inflame the...
279. oldal - From the evidence just given it appears that any high degree of excitement in the central nervous system, whether felt as anger, terror, pain, anxiety, joy, grief, or deep disgust, is likely to break over the threshold of the sympathetic division and disturb the functions of all the organs which that division innervates.
37. oldal - Schafer in using adrenin to designate the substance produced physiologically by the adrenal glands. tern precisely as if they were receiving nervous impulses. For example, when adrenin is injected into the blood, it will cause pupils to dilate, hairs to stand erect, blood vessels to be constricted, the activities of the alimentary canal to be inhibited, and sugar to be liberated from the liver. These effects are not produced by action of the substance on the central nervous system, but by direct...
11. oldal - The cat was soon removed, and the dog pacified. Now the dog was again given the sham feeding for five minutes. In spite of the fact that the animal was hungry and ate eagerly, there was no secretion worthy of mention. During a period of twenty minutes, corresponding to the previous observation, only 9 cc of acid fluid was produced, and this was rich in mucus.
223. oldal - Some sunk down, and there remained no strength in them ; others exceedingly trembled and quaked ; some were torn with a kind of convulsive motion in every part of their bodies, and that so violently that often four or five persons could not hold one of them.
223. oldal - I think there needs no great penetration to understand this. They are honest, upright men who really feel the love of God in their hearts. But they have little experience either of the ways of God or the devices of Satan. So he serves himself...
185. oldal - It plays an essential role in calling forth stored carbohydrate from the liver, thus flooding the blood with sugar; it helps in distributing the blood to the heart, lungs, central nervous system and limbs, while taking it away from the inhibited organs of the abdomen; it quickly abolishes the effects of muscular fatigue ; and it renders the blood more rapidly coagulable.
24. oldal - Tear gland Dilator of pupil Artery of salivary gland Hair Surface artery Sweat gland Heart Hair Surface artery Sweat gland Liver Stomach Visceral artery Spleen Intestine Adrenal gland Hair Surface artery Sweat gland Colon Bladder Rectum Artery of external genitals FIGURE 1.
227. oldal - One of these is the crowd of witnesses or participants, who contribute the "mob spirit" that tends to carry the actions of the individual far beyond the limits set by any personal considerations or prudencies. The other is the influence of music. As Darwin long ago indicated, music has a wonderful power of recalling in a vague and indefinite manner strong emotions which have been felt by our ancestors in long-past ages. Especially is this true of martial music. For the grim purposes of war the reed...